retiring on the cheap questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heck, why not Mexico? Cheap living, good food, and warm weather. Want guns? Just wait on the ATF to have some walked across the border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking belize because it is an English speaking country,didn't work out to well for John McAffe though

internetscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard Costa Rica is cheap. I have a few friends that tried to find themselves in other countries. I'm trying to find an island to start a jeep safari on right now. I'm tired of my generation and those that follow.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard Costa Rica is cheap. I have a few friends that tried to find themselves in other countries. I'm trying to find an island to start a jeep safari on right now. I'm tired of my generation and those that follow.

Costa Rica was cheap, 20 years ago. I have friends in Costa Rica (natives, not ex pats).

Ecuador will be like Costa Rica in 20 years, or less.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a friend that moved to Puerto Vallarta after he and wife retired. Haven't spoke to him since he moved. They used to travel there twice a year for years when I worked with him. Next time we vacation there, I'm looking him up.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a friend that moved to Puerto Vallarta after he and wife retired. Haven't spoke to him since he moved. They used to travel there twice a year for years when I worked with him.

Hell, if I retired to Puerto Vallarta, I don't think I'd ever talk to anyone here again, either! lol

Sadly, they won't let me bring my guns to Meh-hee-coh. :(

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is tons of info about retiring "abroad" on the internet and plenty of books. Just about every location has a message board or forum that can answer about any question you could have. Your biggest decision is location. Mazatlan is popular right now and has affordable housing. Finding a place you don't need a car is a biggie if you're on the cheap. Medical insurance is even affordable in Mexico. Your idea of Belieze is good. You can live cheap as long as your willing to give up a lot.

Coz (as in Cozumel)

for example: http://www.expatexchange.com/belize/liveinbelize.html

Brad A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always dreamed of living on the beach somewhere down there where they have hot señoritas & cold margaritas. Problem is the unstable/ corrupt governments and the zetas. Be careful. You don't want to end up in the back end of a van headed towards the desert.

Latest posts

Top Bottom