retiring on the cheap questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheap/reduced cost of living certainly has an appeal but I put that on the same plane as why I don't really need a passport: there's plenty of places in the US I've yet to explore so why go elsewhere? I'll stick with access to family, freedom, and firearms.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't have too but I could live right here easily on 1200 a month, no reason to go to another country much less another state.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not living anywhere they won't allow me my firearms.
That narrows the list of countries down a lot.

You can find some articles at marketwatch.com about the best states to retire in.
They cover basics such as whether the state has income tax and if so whether SS benefits are taxed as well as crime rates, climate, things to do.

Brad A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you keeping a 5000sf house 50* in the summer and 90* in the winter to cost $1200 for basic utilities????!?!!!?!

He's trying to retire on the cheap so he's not going to be living in a 5,000 sq/ft home. Move to a mapdot town like where I'm originally from, hunt, fish and garden your food. Can food. Get some chickens. You don't NEED an ac but if you have one, get used to setting it on 79 or 80. Have a fireplace. You won't use much electricity or gas for heat. You could totally do it, IF you can give up some luxuries and be a little tougher than most of us Americans are nowadays. We don't even think we can live off of $1200 /mo bc we've become so used to "needing" so many luxuries. It wasn't very long ago in this country that just about everyone had a milk cow and chickens. No one had ac, tv, phones etc.

Or move in w NikatKimber. He has a whole wing he's not using. Ha!

Last edited:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could $1200/month easy if I were single. I don't think that's a stretch at all. Our current standard of living is maybe $2500/month at the most. Dropping daycare and trimming back what I pay in insurance would get us under $2k easily. That's for a family of 3 in OK county.

Latest posts

Top Bottom