To everyone with wheat in the ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel for you. My wife and granddaughter did kind of a drive around Sunday and it looked like a lot of wheat in western Oklahoma was down.

This rain is going to make it tough on a lot of cKounties. First loss of tax revenue related to the oil and gas slow down and now torrential rains washing the roads away and then loss of tax revenue from the sale of the down wheat. That probably means a lot of road work won't get done. There are still roads in Eddy County N.M. that are closed from the flooding down here last year.

Mad CKow.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hit or miss around here, variety and maturity dependent it looks like. Wind sure helped around here today, both drying out the wheat and the roads.

Jim Bob

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors looks terrible. It was too wet to fertilize, then weeds, then rust, and now its drowning. I used to farm until I figured out I only made about $3 an hour in a good year. I gave up and grow grass and cattle now. Life is so much easier.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors looks terrible. It was too wet to fertilize, then weeds, then rust, and now its drowning. I used to farm until I figured out I only made about $3 an hour in a good year. I gave up and grow grass and cattle now. Life is so much easier.

Thinking about moving to more cattle graze out acres next year. Will have to increase credit line substantially. Sure fire way to make the bottom fall out of the cattle market.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I have the salt fork in full flow across one of my wheat fields. Looked to be a bumper crop.
It's not insured.

It's always the best stuff that gets hail/flooded/ruined.

Secondarily, insurance is an invaluable way to manage the high risks associated with farming. I even sprung for hail insurance and it has payed off yet again. 50% on one place and 10% on the other. Of course the way the weather is I have a solid month to go dodging storms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom