Camping out on the Illinois (Tahlequah area)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, looks like all the cabins are already rented and reserved. We plan on June 19th and 20th, I think. So we're gonna have to buy all the stuff we need for camping, as we've never been - well, since I was in high school, I haven't I don't think. But my boy is gonna be 10 soon and we wanna do the family camping experience. We wanted a cabin for the first trip out, just to not be stuck totally roughing it, and because we don't have all the gear, but it looks like that's out of the question... so, I need some advice on the better campgrounds in the area to float the Illinois. I think the two the wife said were the better looking options online were the Arrowhead and Diamond-something? Diamondhead?

Anyways, we'll be at least camping on a site with electric, as I need a fan to sleep, both for background noise and for air movement. I guess we'll be looking at buying a good tent, we have some air mattresses, I dunno what else, honestly. I guess we'll sit down and make a list, but for those guys who live out that way or have spent a bunch of time out there, gimme some tips for the Illinois/Tahlequah area. Any particular places to stay AWAY from? I know one of the campgrounds was "quiet after 11PM" and the other was "quiet after 3AM"... pretty sure we'll be avoiding THAT one. lol

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 2 places you mentioned are decent. I would look into eagle bluff floats also. They have cabins and a decent campground, or they did the last time I was there. You will only be a few minutes from town. Have you considered a hotel? There are several in the area and might be better for you in the long run.
Make sure you check the level of the river before you go. It can be a very dangerous place, especially when the water is up. Good luck and let me know if I can help you out.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all the rain, I wonder how the river will be?

When I was in elementary school, another kid in my grade drown on that river in a float trip. Then about 6-7 years ago, my sister was on a church trip and their boat flipped over. She and a couple other people got sucked under and pinned against some trees under the water. Her husband (6'7", 350+lbs) and a couple of firemen saved them. They were all torn up and went to the hospital. Her husband broke some ribs being crushed by the logs he was separating to pull people up.

I'm scared to death of that river.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, we won't be going in the river if it's overly high and fast, but we're talking almost a month away, so there's plenty of time for the river to normalize, I hope - assuming the rain doesn't continue like it has. But yeah, I grew up floating that river and know it can get out of hand quickly if you dont respect it.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to do it couple times a year. 3.5 ft on stream gauge was max and I was experienced. Like a pilot, get-there-itus can be a bad thing. Watch the levels. Stay safe. First time camping is one thing. First time down the river is another thing.
Add the two, and you do not want to get into an overload situation. If you are going to do your first "camp out" for the weekend, I suggest you set your gear up in the back yard for a test run. You can learn a lot as you run into the house to get things you forgot to pack.

Camping is a really fun thing to do. The Illinois River is a really fun thing to do. Myself, experienced at both, I would not combine both of them for a first trip.

You can drive from Tulsa, go down the river and drive back to Tulsa to spend the night easier. Many other places to spend the night along the way also. No need to flog yourself into the buzzsaw the first trip.

Just my opinion.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You might check into renting a pop-up trailer or small rv trailer. Be a little closer to a cabin than in a tent.

If you're not using to sleeping rough (or just prefer not to) buy an air mattress. I love camping, and still use one. Makes a world of difference in sleep.

I would avoid staying at the float "resorts". But that's me, and I prefer to camp a little quieter. The resorts are the spot for college and other groups, and in my experience not a good representation of what camping can be. You can still use the resort service to float the river during the day if you want.

If you want quiet and a more family setting, Greenleaf is worth checking out. Disclosure: my father in law works there, so I'm partial to the park. Tenkiller also offers several private campgrounds around its shores, as well as a state park campground. Tenkiller is a little more well traveled and "louder" than Greenleaf, but should still be much better than the river resorts.

If you do get out this direction, give me a holler, I live just down the street from Greenleaf.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blow off the Illinois, and go to the Buffalo River in Arkansas. Certified fun by Ridgehunter and myself.
You will never visit the Illinois after you do.

Our last two trips down the Illinois involved some drunk on a gravel bar threatening to sink us or something if we didn't give him some beer.
Its a sad example of a trip down a river that should offer some challenge and solitude, not some drunken idiots wanting to accost you.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blow off the Illinois, and go to the Buffalo River in Arkansas. Certified fun by Ridgehunter and myself.
You will never visit the Illinois after you do.

Our last two trips down the Illinois involved some drunk on a gravel bar threatening to sink us or something if we didn't give him some beer.
Its a sad example of a trip down a river that should offer some challenge and solitude, not some drunken idiots wanting to accost you.

Good suggestion, but at 5 hours away, I'll have to plan that trip for another time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Granted its a trip, but you can stay in Harrison at the Toad Suck inn.

Yep, that's a real motel. Google toad suck in Arkansas. Its a neat story unique to the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom