Fire lapping my first time, Ruger barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a Ruger new model Blackhawk Bisley and found that the thing is
finished very poorly. The worst was the barrel had a tight spot where the barrel screwed into the frame.

I tried to fire lap with wheel weight lead bullets.
No dice the constriction was not improved at all. Bullets too hard to allow the compound to imbed into them.

So I made some pure soft lead bullets and took some fine lapping compound. http://www.amazon.com/Versachem-13209-Metal-Grinding-Compound/dp/B00C3Z9EX4
And mixed that with some 320 grit sandpaper that I torched and turned into a pile of ashes.. Theory being that you will have a pile of 320 grit when finished.
I fired 12 powder puff rounds through the gun and cleaned it.. there was zero leading.
Then pushed a soft lead slug through the barrel.. I noticed the constriction was almost gone.
I sent another 12 rounds through and again pushed a slug through it.

This time I was rewarded , as I pushed the slug in from the muzzle it was tight and 2" into the 7.5" barrel the slug got real easy to push in.

I could now push the slug in with a piece of rubber tubing and all the way out towards the cylinder.. I then pushed the slug through from the forcing cone side , 2" before the end of the barrel it got snug and I could no longer push it with the rubber hose (vacuum tubing ).
Looking into the barrel it is super shiny no scratches.

Now I need to load some real ammo and see if it still shoots big groups or smaller groups.

The powder puff load was standard primers with .25cc of 231 powder.
1/2 of a Lee .5cc scoop.
The soft lead bullets were laying in some grinding compound I smeared on a steel table and then I took another piece of steel and rolled with pressure across the bullets to imbed the grinding mixture into the soft lead.

I then loaded these into a NON sized already fired case with powder and primer.. I seated them with my fingers and tapped them to length with a hammer.. very light tapping.. You could push them in if you pressed hard enough but I found that sent the bullet too deep too fast.

Guess I need to go out tomorrow and shoot it.
I have tried 3 powders and 3 different bullets and none of them shot good groups.
Maybe I won't be a sad Ruger owner

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
ah jeff, i see you're trying a little lapping method. i hope you get some positive results. dad and i have improved a few guns significantly by doing this.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is what I have heard from a little birdie :)
I hope it shoots better, I think my best load was with IMR 2400 and .452" 250gr XTP bullets, so I will try that and some 200gr lead loads to see if those show promise.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have an Uberti 1866 in 45LC that I need to do this to I think. After 20-30 shots, it develops a slight hitch right as the lever closes.

Think this lapping method could help?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got some fire lapping product from somebody a couple of years ago on a prize table after a match. Didn't know what to think of it, so its sitting on the shelf somewhere.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you decide to fire lap that 45 Colt I have some soft lead bullets you can have.
But by the way you describe it you may have a build up issue of some kind. In other words something is getting dirty.

I can make anyone here some soft lead bullets for this process if they need some.
The calibers I have are 45, 357, 40, 50 and 30 cal.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It shot better!
One of my loads I shot at 25 yards looked better than one of my 10 yard groups from before I lapped the barrel.

Pretty sad I was shooting a Ruger 45 colt with 7.5" barrel at 10 yards................and was disappointed.
I will go out again with more loads to try out.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have lapped carbide with diamonds that I imbedded into cast iron plates. It was at work that I did that. We used diamond paste and a hardened metal roller to worked the diamonds into the cast iron.

The plates would not wear even in use. We would make them flat again on a surface grinder before we used them again.

I have read that you can roll the jacketed bullets between two metal plates to imbed the grit into them

The bullet does not have to be soft to do the lapping.

The Tubbs lapping bullets are jacketed.

I am glad it worked for you with soft bullets. I really enjoy reading about your DIY successes.

I

Latest posts

Top Bottom