Please Help Me Figure Out a Sling Setup For My AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
howdy folks

I decided the other day while shooting at my buddies place I really need a sling for my AR. Im not at all AR savvy and would sure like some opinions from some of you that are.

First a few pics...

[Broken External Image]
I have offset irons on this side

[Broken External Image]
and a BCM large charging handle on this side.

[Broken External Image]
Here is a pic of my butt stock, its a MAGS EFX-A1. It has a QD mount that I would like to use.

[Broken External Image]
I bought a complete upper from smith and Wesson and it came with this Troy TRX extreme hand guard.

I know you can put a QD mount in one of the holes but which one should I buy? What about swivels and which sling would you recommend for a 2-point setup like this? I only use this gun for 3 gun contests between family and friends, (very informal but also very fun), so please factor that into your recommendation. It would be cool to do a run where the rifle must be slung while you complete the pistol section or what have you...

Im also all about bang for your buck...I don't mind paying a little extra for quality but some of these AR accessories are ridiculously high and I aint no millionaire.

Thanks so much in advance everyone I really appreciate the help.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The TRX should have come with a rail section with a QD socket. If not, you should be able to order one from Troy. You will need some QD swivels. MI makes some good ones. As for the sling, I love the padded VCAS. Very comfortable, very quick to adjust, very high quality. If you set it up right, you can use it as a shooting sling as well as a carry sling.

Cool lookin rifle. I like fixed stocks myself. I have a couple of the Magpul MOE rifle stocks. Those Burris optics are real decent, too. I have a couple of the TAC30 1-4xs that have that same reticle.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm no guru, but here's what I've read, and what I have:

Noveske TRX QD Sling Mount for Troy Alpha Rails
$18.99 @ Primary Arms

Troy/VTAC and the Blue Force slings are highly recommended by many experts. I have one of each. Don't really have a preference yet.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In preparation for run n gun I bought a vtac sling... very pleased thus far. I can run with it and also use it as a support while shooting. Takes a little practice though to get comfortable.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
alright everyone after reading your suggestions and staying up till 2am researching I made my decisions and placed the order.

[Broken External Image]
VTAC foliage green padded sling

[Broken External Image]
Midwest QD swivels

[Broken External Image]
IWC QD mount micro flush (got solid reviews online vs noveske).

I am also planning on painting my pistol grip foliage green to match the sling. Anyone have any suggestions on a good cheap color match that can be had locally?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
VCAS for the win...

The foliage green is kind of gray, similar to the tones in the the ACU.

the research I was doing pretty much came down to the vcas or vtac. I went vtac for #1 price and #2 what I read over at the brianenos forum. Basically from what I gathered is the vtac is faster and easier to adjust and seemed to be preferred slightly by them.

lol and since ima wanna be 3 gunner if I have the same equipment as them ill be just as good right :uhh:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like the VTAS because it leaves a hanging tail when you have it pulled in tight....the less crap hanging and flapping around is better.

But it's still a good choice, it'll run just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom