Fabricated Fiber Optic Front Sight for M&P Compact .22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watched some YouTubes on fiber optics. Used a 3/64 bit to drill out the front sight so I could use a piece of fiber optic rod. Used my Dremel (very slowly and carefully!) to cut out a channel along the top of the sight to let light in. Heated up a box cutter blade to seal the ends of the fiber optic piece once it was installed in the hole I drilled. Razor blade to clean it all up and VOILA! Fiber Optic Front Sight for the M&P Compact .22. Works great and was fun. Took about half an hour.[Broken External Image][Broken External Image]

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very good Saturday project. It looks nice too.

Thank you Kind Sir. I really like this little pistol; but the plastic front sight is just held in by the dovetail in the slide, no screw, no real easy way to replace it, and nobody seems to make replacement sights for the M&P .22 Compact version anyway. So; I made my own.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you get a more focused pic of site? I have no problems drilling the hole, the channel to allow light is what I'm worried about, but I think I may have an idea

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you get a more focused pic of site? I have no problems drilling the hole, the channel to allow light is what I'm worried about, but I think I may have an idea

Sorry, my crappy cell phone pics won't suffice. I used a Dremel cutter to very gently and very slowly remove the material to make the channel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom