School Me On 3 Gun Competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and a buddy are considering doing a local 3 gun match. What are the different classes and rules associated with each class? I've done some general google searching but curious to see what the local contests require. My buddies and I will do an informal 3 gun contest for bragging rights and I love it...a lot. Just would really like to get some info before I show up to an event with a gun or holster that aren't allowed etc...

Some questions that I have as of now...
- I bought a surplus chicom chest rig and sewed on a button release holster for my cz75 in one of the pockets...not allowed? (don't laugh its really pretty bad to the bone)
- Can anyone run me through a typical event? How many targets per stage and what ranges (distances) are we talking here for pistol, shotgun, and rifle...what size targets?
- Can anyone give me a general average time per run?
- Any certain equipment required (besides ears, eyes and a pistol holster) like slings for the rifle and shotgun?

I tend to over analyze things and have a million specific questions but im sure most will get answered with general discussion of the topic so I will stop there. Anyone else that has a question about 3 gun stuff feel free to jump in and ask.

thanks in advance everyone.

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat. I went out and watched some of the 3 gun match at the OKC Gun Club today. I believe the matches are on the 4th Saturdays of the month. There is a lot more match info and competitive shooting information on the boomershooter site.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Boomershooter.com will get you going really well.

Chest rigs are a no go. Get a bladetech revolution holster.
Come out to OKCGC on the 4th Saturday of the month and watch us play, ask questions, and get a feel of what it's all about.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few more ?'s
DIVISION
Open: Run what you brung, no restrictions outside of pistol mag length. I could enter with my saiga or vepr 12 with any capacity mag I prefer correct?
Tactical Optics: a converted saiga 12 would not be allowed because it was converted from factory configuration? I could run a rifle in this division with a scope as well as offset iron sights. however I could not run a scope and offset reflex red dot sight since that would be 2 electronic sighting devises?
Tactical Iron: pretty straight forward but still curious if converted saigas are allowed.
Heavy Metal and Heavy Optics are pretty straight forward.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Open: correct
TacOps: Saiga not allowed because of detachable magazine. Correct on sights.
TacIron: Saiga not allowed, again, because of magazine

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A saiga will put you straight into open division because it is magazine fed.
Benelli M2 rules the field in Tac ops and tac irons.
Pump shotguns like the Benelli Nova are for heavy metal division with 45 caliber handguns and .308 rifles.

Scoped rifles with dot offset will be open
Scoped rifles with iron offset is tac optics.
Iron sight or red dot rifles with no other sights are tac irons.

9mm pistols rule the game because there's no power factor to worry about so you get added capacity with no negatives on score.

Here's a list of local matches you should check out. Most of them are USPSA pistol matches, which is a very good way to get started in competition.
http://www.boomershooter.com/forums...-oklahoma-and-surrounding-area-local-matches/

Latest posts

Top Bottom