Gay marriage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using your example there would be an $8.35B pool but likely a good number will not get married and a good number will not get divorced.... Many lawyers will not see an increase in revenue, where others will be opportunistic, possibly specializing in gay divorce. So it may not be a "windfall" for every divorce attorney out there, but to think that a fresh multi-billion dollar revenue stream will not have an impact on a shrinking (divorce rate is declining) industry is asinine.

Nah, what's "asinine" is over estimating the size of the industry. That 15k number you tossed around is the average cost of a CONTESTED divorce. It seems like a very silly number to use when estimates suggest that upwards of 95% of divorces are uncontested and the trend as of late is leaning starting to lean toward self representation in divorce cases. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_in_the_United_States

Further, it's "asinine" to think that someone would believe that "gay divorce" is an area that can actually be specialized in. It's just divorce law. A whole body of law didn't spring up just because states were told they couldn't ban gay marriage. Could a lawyer only cater to gay clients? Sure he could, if he were willing to limit his client base to 3.5% of the population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SM Rider

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think the decision is going to have a tough time being accepted in all 50 states, and why doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you think the LGBT community has or does not have a right to be married and have it recognized by the state. I do believe in time, most states will capitulate.

I think there are going to be lots of state AG's that challenge the decision based on the SCOTUS overstepping their bounds, some will do some political grandstanding and pandering to the religious right, but most AG's that challenge it are going to challenge on the basis of it not being an issue the SCOTUS should have ever been considering, as was pointed out in Chief Justice Roberts' dissent.

We'll see. As for me, I couldn't possibly care less, which I guess makes me an enemy of both sides. I just worry about the SCOTUS being involved in issues they shouldn't be involved in. This should have been left up to state legislatures and state supreme courts.

I don't think I've seen it here, but if I hear one more person cite "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" as being a constitutional right I'm gonna be sick. That isn't in the Constitution, it's in the Declaration of Independence. What is in the Constitution is "Life, Liberty and Property" and it's the taking clause found in the 5th amendment.

If there is a Constitutional right to happiness, I'm calling my lawyer in the morning, cause I'm being cheated.

The constitution is just that... an affirmation that the government is nothing but a paper fiction. Yet just about everyone here gladly accepts being ruled by a nothing. Or accepting the edicts of that nothing. Of course, the bible is also a nothing that some accept as the Creator's word when the only evidence we have of the Creator's existence is creation itself and to paraphrase Thomas Paine, "It is only in the CREATION that all the ideas and concepts of the word of God can come together. The Creation speaks a universal language that does not depend on any human speech or language."

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
So much hate and contempt for the other side in here.

I keep thinking about responding, but I don't think it's worth my time.

Y'all be nice now, ya hear?

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
memecrunch.com_meme_T6WS_if_you_don_t_like_gay_marriage_image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom