Should you be a driver at MCAAP or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going in November and from the guys that have been there, do you reccomend being a driver or just tagging along with another group in hopes someone else hunts your area. I'll be going solo.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Did you apply and draw by yourself? If you're going with a group, absolutely be a driver. They'll want you to have a crew cab long bed with a shell or cover preferably. If you want to drive and go by yourself, you'll be having others ride in with you.....and that can be good usually, sometimes it's a hassel.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes a hassle, if the others smoke, u have to take them back to camp for lunch if I remember right.
Dad and I usually hunted spots few others hunted so no riders.
Good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done that hunt several times by myself. Never had a rider. Hang out until the end when they are asking for drivers. Pick out a spot that nobody has put a pin on and say you will drive yourself.

I don't like working on somebody else's schedule. The deer are all over that place.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's this "be a driver" thing of which you speak? I drew for MCAAP Oct 16-18 and I'll be going by myself. I'm not that much into the idea of having people I don't know riding along with me.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They don't want 275 people driving in the hunt areas separately. People hunting in the same area are grouped up and ride with somebody who volunteers to drive.

Follow Dennis advice if you absolutely don't want somebody riding with you or with somebody else.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been there 7 times now, 4 Boggy trips, 3 Deer Creek. Every time, on Thursday morning check in, Starry will speak to the whole group. Then you'll split up by hunt area, and the hunt area "white hat" will go over specific details of that area if any. Then they'll aks who wants to drive..........and they'll want, preferably, a full size, crewcab long bed. If you're in a group of 4 already, that's a bonus. Usually more people will raise their hand to drive than what they want, and they usually want about 10-12 trucks per area. It doesn't always work out like that though. Once you've been designated a driver, you'll get a number card, and you'll go put your "pin" on the map, indicating where you want to go. If that's an area you want to hunt, and you're not driving, you'll want to find/ride with that driver. There has been 3 or 4 times, where no drivers wanted to go, but we did.........so they just let the two of us drive to that spot.

Over the years I've seen ALL of the drivers almost park on top of each other in about 3 locations across the 10k+ acre areas..........and I've also seen it pretty evenly spread over the area. Used to, you could walk north from the camp into Deer Creek and just start hunting pretty much, it was an awesome area, but they don't let you do that anymore. That area is still is huntable, but you have to go way back around from the NW and back into. You can still access the NE part of the Boggy area from the cabin area road. I've ridden in with another driver 3 or 4 times, everyone was easy going and easy to work with.

The only way you'll drive in by yourself, is to go way off away from everyone else..........which also puts you at the mercy of waiting and seeing where everyone else goes and you picking last.

Latest posts

Top Bottom