Heavy Equipment Moving in NE OKC (1200 lb lathe)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a cheap lathe from a member here. It is now in the bed of my truck. I need to take it out and put it on the cabinet, then move it to it's final resting place. It isn't a huge machine, but it weighs 1200 pounds or so. I thought about buying/renting an engine hoist, but my truck is now filled with a lathe and I really don;t want to store it after the fact. Does anyone know of a fairly inexpensive way to get this done. Any members done this before? Any businesses that do this and don't cost an arm and a leg? I am more than willing to pay/trade ammo to get it out. I also don't trust myself to do this with an engine hoist. I can back my truck up pretty close to where it will need to be placed. Thanks for suggestions

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cherry picker hoists are tremendously useful for lifting things, and shouldn't cost a whole lot at Steve's Wholesale Tools (or Harbor Freight, if you don't mind living dangerously); before my dad permanently borrowed mine, it lived under in my garage, disassembled on the floor under my Triumph Spitfire. They're usually sold disassembled in a box, so you should be able to pick it up in a car. The same is true of chain hoists if you have something strong enough in your garage to carry the weight.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to use a chain hoist to lift my lathe out of my truck when I moved it out here. A tractor with a lift, bucket or hay spikes can pick it up, I don't think a cherry picker lift will go high enough to lift it out of a pickup.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to use a chain hoist to lift my lathe out of my truck when I moved it out here. A tractor with a lift, bucket or hay spikes can pick it up, I don't think a cherry picker lift will go high enough to lift it out of a pickup.
I guess it depends on the lift, the lathe, and the pickup. I was going to suggest a chain hoist (they're ridiculously easy to store), but you need something that can carry the weight.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess the worst case scenario is the HF 2 ton hoist doesn't work and I call a wrecker with a boom out. Any idea what a wrecker would charge to lift this out of my truck? Any good wrecker recommendations in Edmond?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess the worst case scenario is the HF 2 ton hoist doesn't work and I call a wrecker with a boom out. Any idea what a wrecker would charge to lift this out of my truck? Any good wrecker recommendations in Edmond?
There's an OSA member who runs a wrecker service (OkieBryan?) in the OKC area. I haven't seen him post recently, but you might try PMing him.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 strong men could easily lift it out. There surely is 5 members near you that could donate 30 min. time for this. I would but I'm not close.

I need some guys that could be bought with bricks of .22! I'll send okiebryan an email and do some calling to other places.

Latest posts

Top Bottom