Headline: I own guns and I hate the NRA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/l...david-fellerath-i-own-guns-i-hate-the-nra.ece

The Tulsa World has resorted to bringing in outside mouthpieces to opine on guns and this is today's column they brought over from the Dallas Morning News. It's another round of crap from a Fudd that I'd put first on any list to have his stuff taken just for being a clueless moron. It also irritates me that Warren Buffet's newspaper toadies can't be bothered to state their opinion, choosing to hide behind featured guest opinions.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't agree with his opinions, but most of his arguments seem valid. I know plenty of gun-owners/gun-rights-advocates that can't stand the NRA.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NRA took my ole FIL for a nice donation every month when the poor guy couldn't even pay his bills. He was 87 years old and would give them anything they wanted. No. I actually despise the NRA.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think the quoted article seems reasonable, check the "everybody knows" assertions being made. Many of them are not even almost true, just the repeatedly quoted opinions of the anti "hired guns". In particular, claiming that added handgun restrictions on the law abiding will reduce inner city violence is patently false, unless you manage to believe that Chicago and Washington, DC are safer and less violent than OKC and Tulsa.

One of the emotional reactions against the NRA ( that is understandable) is the frustration that the NRA can't solve all 2A problems, which it can't. However it is recognized even by its haters as the most influential 2A lobby to the US Congress, and the sponsor of many training and safety programs of wide benefit.
If the NRA were not so effective, why would Bloomberg et al keep spending hundreds of millions to smear them? Bloomberg outspent the NRA 10 to 1 in the CO recall elections, but lost.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what? they're not a pro-2a lobby. they're a gun permissions group. they've helped write, endorsed, and pushed every major infringement. eff 'em.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The NRA took my ole FIL for a nice donation every month when the poor guy couldn't even pay his bills. He was 87 years old and would give them anything they wanted. No. I actually despise the NRA.

Did the NRA strong-arm your FIL? If they didn't, then it sounds like he made a choice of his own free will. With all due respect, it seems like it was his decision to default on bills but continue discretionary spending not the NRA's.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you think the quoted article seems reasonable, check the "everybody knows" assertions being made. Many of them are not even almost true, just the repeatedly quoted opinions of the anti "hired guns". In particular, claiming that added handgun restrictions on the law abiding will reduce inner city violence is patently false, unless you manage to believe that Chicago and Washington, DC are safer and less violent than OKC and Tulsa.

One of the emotional reactions against the NRA ( that is understandable) is the frustration that the NRA can't solve all 2A problems, which it can't. However it is recognized even by its haters as the most influential 2A lobby to the US Congress, and the sponsor of many training and safety programs of wide benefit.
If the NRA were not so effective, why would Bloomberg et al keep spending hundreds of millions to smear them? Bloomberg outspent the NRA 10 to 1 in the CO recall elections, but lost.

This. They may not always hit home runs, but who else spends as much money and has such a big machine dedicated to our cause?

I wonder how many people who ***** about the NRA are even members or even bother to vote in NRA elections.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago, I did not renew my NRA annual membership and switched over to the NAGR ( https://www.nationalgunrights.org/ ). I don't hate the NRA at all. But, their fundraising drove me crazy. Instead of using my dues to fight for me, they used my donations to fund raise on me. Easily, they spent double my dues each year on fundraising mailings to me. I got something from them every week. If you're going to fight for me, I'll fund you. If you're just trying to suck money out of my pocket, see ya.

Shame on the NRA for using members' dues this way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I did not renew my NRA annual membership and switched over to the NAGR ( https://www.nationalgunrights.org/ ). I don't hate the NRA at all. But, their fundraising drove me crazy. Instead of using my dues to fight for me, they used my donations to fund raise on me. Easily, they spent double my dues each year on fundraising mailings to me. I got something from them every week. If you're going to fight for me, I'll fund you. If you're just trying to suck money out of my pocket, see ya.

Shame on the NRA for using members' dues this way.

Opt out of the mailings. I get nothing from them but a renewal statement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom