robar-g19 ... get in here!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kk, so I've spent the morning reviewing Seeklander's videos on recoil and trigger control ...

Iirc, I was pretty good with the trigger ... no major issues there, but I was JUST starting to get past the recoil issue ... I never could figure out why I had so much trouble managing recoil. Some matches I did great ... some I looked like I'd never fired a gun before, much less shot a match ...

Knowing what I now know about my neck, I'm positive THAT is my issue ... so ... my question is can you (or somebody else, I'm not too proud to take advice from any of you rednecks ... :wink2:) point me in the direction of some specific drills to manage a weak upper body and see if I can keep the damn sight from going to North Dakota and back when I start firing with some semblance of speed??

Btw, I got the damned barbells out this morning ... I hate you ... lol ... :tounge:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
grip3.jpg10181353474_3256d9abaa_o.jpgA proper grip will help you more than strength.
Get the firing hand as high up on that grip as possible to better align straight with the bore and get a good 20/80% grip. Support hand should be gripping with 80%of the strength, and firing hand should be 20%
Use a strong thumbs forward grip as well.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I highly recommend taking TDSA's AP1 course in Tulsa.
My instructors up there were Marshall Lutton, Mike Cyrwus, Lance Jenson, and Eric Fusion. I'm sure you know a couple of those fellas.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And try a 1911 in 9mm with sub-sonic loads. The weight of the gun combined with the lighter loads make it a treat to shoot.
I really like those 9mm 1911's. Old Uncle Arthur (meanest of those Ritis boys) has set up a permanent home in both my wrists, and I find a 1911 in .45 ACP positively painful to shoot. As S4f says, the 9mm round in a full size 1911 is a joy to shoot.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I highly recommend taking TDSA's AP1 course in Tulsa.
My instructors up there were Marshall Lutton, Mike Cyrwus, Lance Jenson, and Eric Fusion. I'm sure you know a couple of those fellas.

Oh, yeah ... I can't believe y'all let that Cyrwus fella in the room ... :P :tounge: :rollingla I'll probably do just that (take a class) after I shoot my first match and see exactly where I am ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And try a 1911 in 9mm with sub-sonic loads. The weight of the gun combined with the lighter loads make it a treat to shoot.

I really like those 9mm 1911's. Old Uncle Arthur (meanest of those Ritis boys) has set up a permanent home in both my wrists, and I find a 1911 in .45 ACP positively painful to shoot. As S4f says, the 9mm round in a full size 1911 is a joy to shoot.

Hmmmm ... I think I "need" to go see Hoov Monday ... :P

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 48963View attachment 48964A proper grip will help you more than strength.
Get the firing hand as high up on that grip as possible to better align straight with the bore and get a good 20/80% grip. Support hand should be gripping with 80%of the strength, and firing hand should be 20%
Use a strong thumbs forward grip as well.

Ok ... honestly I think my grip is decent BUT I can see where one thing I had going on was creating an issue. I'll do some bill drills next week and see where I am ... I noticed today when I was dry firing I'm having trouble isolating my trigger finger. Will work on that, too ... I imagine I'm just a little rusty ... it's been a little while since I've even fired a gun ... I've missed it.

Thanks for the comments, guys!!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're shooting single stack, then a 1911 will be fine, as long as you can get one to run for any length of time.
I would recommend a glock or m&p for more fun and reliability.

I've always shot glocks. Love them to death ... I'll probably stick with my 34 for the time being, always shot production. I was just toying with the idea of shooting single stack, too, when I got hurt ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom