robar-g19 ... get in here!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Robar is spot on, but I'll share another thing that I just discovered today as a matter of fact. A couple of days ago I sliced my weak hand palm while working on my truck. :pissed:, so I've been keeping it bandaged with neosporin to get it to heal as fast as possible.

I knew the bandage wasn't going to hang thru the match today with me pouring sweat like it's raining. So I went last night and bought a golf glove for my weak hand to keep the bandage in place. Plus I shoot revo and where I sliced my palm is EXACTLY where I slap the ejector rod. :pissed: so I really needed some extra padding there.

What I discovered is I get a great "clamp down" on my strong hand with that glove. It's definitely different though, you have to nail your grip because it sticks like glue. Shooting revo is just friggin hard with the long DA pull and reloads are tough too, I may just cut the fingers off a little to regain the dexterity lost for reloads and keep using it. I'll have to just deal with the Michael Jackson jokes, because when I nailed my grip (I actually do occasionally) it really helped me keep the muzzle down. The difference really shocked me, wish I'd have tried it sooner.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmm ... that's REALLY interesting, Shadowrider. I've never been fond of shooting revolvers because it just doesn't feel good in my hand ...

It's gonna be interesting when I do much one handed drills ... my cant is so screwed up because of my neck that when I shoot strong band only I have a completely "gangsters" grip! Seriously ... my hand settles at almost a 90 degree twist ... it's the most bizarre thing you have ever seen. Druryj, I think, has seen it. I've had guys come up to me at the range wanting to show me how to "hold my gun better" until they see me shoot .. lol ... then they are like "YIKES! How the heck do you do that?" :P

So, how did you do today??

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's seriously worth $10 to try. You know that recoil control comes from your weak hand, and that glove really helps keep it "planted" in place. I think it's a lot better than grit or stippling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You should play with limited minor. You can load up your mags to full capacity, but the real challenge is that you have to shoot pretty much all A's to be competitive, it puts a real emphasis on accuracy while being fast.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend taking TDSA's AP1 course in Tulsa.
My instructors up there were Marshall Lutton, Mike Cyrwus, Lance Jenson, and Eric Fusion. I'm sure you know a couple of those fellas.

Gonna second taking AP1...... I remember taking it before Lance was an instructor and shooting next to him thinking how bad I was. I had no other reference because I was down on the end of the line and he was to my inside. Ended up doing well but damn that man can shoot. Well worth the money.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 48963View attachment 48964A proper grip will help you more than strength.
Get the firing hand as high up on that grip as possible to better align straight with the bore and get a good 20/80% grip. Support hand should be gripping with 80%of the strength, and firing hand should be 20%
Use a strong thumbs forward grip as well.

The grip shown is nothing like what Mike Seeklander teaches. The weak hand is way too far forward.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The grip shown is nothing like what Mike Seeklander teaches. The weak hand is way too far forward.

This is true. I didn't take his post to mean that is what Mike teaches at all. I have smaller hands that all you mutants so my grip is different than anything taught to you guys anyway ... I mean I can't hit the mag release on my glock without shifting my grip. Yeah, it slows me down but it's just a fact of life. I can not physically do it ... I mean unless I have surgery to lengthen the thumb on my right hand ... lol

Unlike some guys, I have learned to listen to what EVERYBODY has to say and take away what I can use and dump the rest. I don't follow any one single "famous" shooting instructor to the extent that I don't listen to what the others have to say ... Not a purist at all, I guess ...

I do thank everyone who has posted in this thread ... and hope that the discussion continues about grip and other competitive shooting techniques for quite a while. I've been out long enough that I consider myself a rank amateur again ... well, except for that part that says "the gun is ALWAYS pointed downrange" ... :)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna second taking AP1...... I remember taking it before Lance was an instructor and shooting next to him thinking how bad I was. I had no other reference because I was down on the end of the line and he was to my inside. Ended up doing well but damn that man can shoot. Well worth the money.

I've shot with all those guys, except Marshall Luton, and GC knows him. I'll NEVER be that good. What I will be is good enough to have fun ... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom