Riding Lawn Mower Purchase: CVT vs Hydrostatic Transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I recently moved away from the city and a yard that was doable with a push mower. With this heat and about an acre, I'm ready to buy a riding lawn mower. I'm looking at two different mowers:
1. Husqvarna YTH22V46
2. John Deere D105

My main question is: which transmission should be more reliable and require less maintenance, the Hydrostatic in the Husq or the CVT in the Deere? It seems like the CVT has less moving parts. Our yard does have a bit of a hill in the back and the very front by the road, which I read can lessen the life of a hydrostatic transmission.

The Deere has a 2 year/120 hour warranty and a 42" deck where the Husq has a 46" deck and a 3 year warranty.

Any experience with either of these models? Appreciate any input y'all can provide.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I believe both are made by AYP. Similar machines except for the color. I guess it boils down to the tranny.
The hydro's seem smother to me ,FWIW

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend buying a John Deere... but not a Lowe's model. A factory John Deere model from the JD implement dealer.

Husqvarna doesn't make a bad mower, they judt don't make a great, lasting mower.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend buying a John Deere... but not a Lowe's model. A factory John Deere model from the JD implement dealer.

Husqvarna doesn't make a bad mower, they judt don't make a great, lasting mower.
Why would you steer clear of the Lowe's model? That's where I was looking at both mowers. It appears to have good reviews.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowe's has business model similar to WalMart. They reach out to manufacturers with an ideal price point, and the manufacturer builds a product at that price point that can also satisfy the profit margins of both companies.

Lowe's models are specific to Lowe's, and often won't be listed under the JD name on the JD website.

While Lowe's will have a better, cheaper price than a factory dealer, try to imagine where they're cutting that cost, yet still preserving profit margins.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowe's has business model similar to WalMart. They reach out to manufacturers with an ideal price point, and the manufacturer builds a product at that price point that can also satisfy the profit margins of both companies.

Lowe's models are specific to Lowe's, and often won't be listed under the JD name on the JD website.

While Lowe's will have a better, cheaper price than a factory dealer, try to imagine where they're cutting that cost, yet still preserving profit margins.

A lot of times you will see it in the motor selection (lower quality), the blade deck construction (thinner materials), and even in the tires (lower quality).

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I guess it is to be expected when dealing with big box stores. I was leaving toward the JD, but given that, the Husqvarna might be the better option. The better warranty was tempting anyway, just the transmission had me hesitant.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Going on year 10 with a Lowe's Cub Cadet zero turn. Change oil, filters yearly. Sharpen or change blades as needed. I mow a little over an acre. A JD dealer will never see a penny from me, and I have nothing against JD. There's just equal to better equipment out there to mow the yard with for a fraction of the cost.

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Home Depot bought cub cadet bought it new in 2004 been a good mower spent $400+ last year rebuilding the front end and pulleys on deck etc. mowed twice this year with it and am picking it up from shop again today after having deck rebuilt $300. It's been a good mower and I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it (cost $2000) new.

I will say the next one buy will be a cub cadet, Jong deer, bad boy, etc purchased from a dealer as everything I have read says there a way better built mower.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used 2 different JD mowers going on 7 years the first one i got from Lowe's and it lasted 4 years doing 25 yards every 2 weeks the one i have now i got from the JD dealer because that was the only place that could get the model i wanted in the time frame i needed it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom