Remington 341 - an Oldie!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:PPicked up this Remington Model 341 Bolt Action .22 today from a fine OSA Member. From what I have just found online, Remington made the Model 341 from 1936 -1940, so this thing is at least 75 years old. It is missing something in the trigger mechanism ...I think. Trigger no go "click" when you pull it. I'm thinking a spring maybe, if I'm lucky? Not a lot of info out there readily available on this old gun, my intention is to get it functional, then do as much of a restoration on it as I can; refinish the stock and re-blue the gun. Externally, it is in very good shape for a rifle of this age, and appears to be sound except for the issue with the trigger. The bolt and action itself is very smooth. These old guns will shoot .22 shorts, longs, and long rifles. Anyone have any info or knowledge on this rifle to share?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you open the bolt and cock it does the bolt stay cocked back? If not it could be an issue with the sear not engaging. Possibly a worn sear or sear engagement surface.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I printed some stuff off Numrich's web site for it...I was gifted this old beauty; I have time to work on it now that I retired and hope I can bring her back to life.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I printed some stuff off Numrich's web site for it...I was gifted this old beauty; I have time to work on it now that I retired and hope I can bring her back to life.

Its a fun project. I've done one and a couple on the forum have rebuilt some of the old classics. Good luck, and take a lot of pics for us to look at.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you open the bolt and cock it does the bolt stay cocked back? If not it could be an issue with the sear not engaging. Possibly a worn sear or sear engagement surface.

Yes, it appears to me that that's okay...but these old bolt guns sure are not my area of expertise.

rakkal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8U3CpKcFvAuBgWbFQ&sig2=U-KKiSzV5QKvHwgKghnakg

Can you see the bolt being held back upon closing the bolt? If you slowly squeeze the trigger, can you feel anything happen? See any movement of the assembly trying to move forward?

I've got a lot of experience on multiple bolt guns, brought a steyr M95 back to life and have a pretty good grasp on everything from a little winchester 67 to a 1903. Hope this helps!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8U3CpKcFvAuBgWbFQ&sig2=U-KKiSzV5QKvHwgKghnakg

Can you see the bolt being held back upon closing the bolt? If you slowly squeeze the trigger, can you feel anything happen? See any movement of the assembly trying to move forward?

I've got a lot of experience on multiple bolt guns, brought a steyr M95 back to life and have a pretty good grasp on everything from a little winchester 67 to a 1903. Hope this helps!

Thanks rakkal! That is good info and a place to start. Found a gunsmith local to me here; the Father of a forum member who I have shot with and dealt with some. Gonna take the old girl to him tomorrow and let him look at her before I get to much into my project. Oh; welcome to OSA too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom