Chattanooga TN Marine Recruiting Office Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The very foundation of military discipline requires he receive some form of punishment. He took his chances and I'm sure as an adult, and as a commanding officer, he will stand tall and take his lumps proudly without whining about it being an outrage or "not fair".

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The very foundation of military discipline requires he receive some form of punishment. He took his chances and I'm sure as an adult, and as a commanding officer, he will stand tall and take his lumps proudly without whining about it being an outrage or "not fair".

Agree.
He is no different than those of us that say we will CC in places that we aren't allowed to.
We do that knowingly that we might still be alive, but have to suffer consequences if it goes down.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wondered how long it would take to see this. I also wondered why the news outlets referred to his a "sidearm" yet called the one owned by the Marine a personally owned Glock 9mm pistol.

In any case it's always better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Agree.
He is no different than those of us that say we will CC in places that we aren't allowed to.
We do that knowingly that we might still be alive, but have to suffer consequences if it goes down.

Interesting. So you don't feel that the second amendment applies to those in the military? I think this could make for an extremely interesting case.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. So you don't feel that the second amendment applies to those in the military? I think this could make for an extremely interesting case.

Not really. It is very well-settled law that, by joining, servicemembers give up a lot of their rights. The First Amendment is also curtailed: criticizing the President--"core political speech," perhaps the most protected type of speech for civilians--is severely restricted for those subject to his command authority.

By volunteering--and let's remember, it's an all-volunteer force--and taking the oath, one gives up a good deal of freedom...including the freedom to walk away. It's a choice. I'm glad that people make that choice, and I think highly of them for doing so, but we should bear in mind that they chose to waive those freedoms.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely and utterly ridiculous. A uniformed military person shoots back at a terrorist shooting at them. And our gov't in it's infinite wisdom wants to prosecute him for breaking their arbitrary and completely useless rule. If they go through with this, we should riot.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No, Nor do a whole bunch of other amendments like free speech etc...

It's a volunteer force.

Like I said. The very concept of military discipline requires that his willful disobedience not go unpunished. That being said, hopefully he gets a "desk drawer LOR" to satisfy the requirement and we move on.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, Nor do a whole bunch of other amendments like free speech etc...

It's a volunteer force.

Like I said. The very concept of military discipline requires that his willful disobedience not go unpunished. That being said, hopefully he gets a "desk drawer LOR" to satisfy the requirement and we move on.

Demanding someone obey a completely worthless law even if it means getting killed makes a mockery of both military discipline AND the law! If this guy gets prosecuted federally, I hope he has a gofundme account for his defense!!!

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SMS is correct. He took a decision to break the rules and I suspect it was with the full knowledge that his decision would have consequences should he be caught. This is a perfect example of the difference between a legal and a moral choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom