Teaching your kids financial responsibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
TR, I think you are very wise in what you are doing.

My son is 18 months old and one of my fears is that he will turn into an entitled little douche. As soon as he gets old enough to understand, we are going to make him do chores. When he gets a bit older, he will start bussing tables at my cousins' restaurant. A little after that, he will go to work with my top hand on my rental properties. My goal is that he will learn to work hard and learn to work smart, and realize money is simply a tool, not a lifestyle.

I borrowed my way through college and law school and came out with just under $200,000 in student loan debt. Fortunately, I go into an area of law that can pay well. When I received my fees on a mass torts case, I paid off the remaining balance immediately. I had them done in less than 10 years. It was one of the best days of my career. Friends, and financial advisors, told me I should only pay half of them off and invest the other half. No way. I had my CPA calculate the taxes and I held that part out and paid off the debt.

Unlike a lot of my peers, I live below my means and invest in real estate, the market, and a couple of side businesses. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a miser and I enjoy the fruits of my labor, but I learned a long time ago that trying to impress other people with things, money, status is a game for losers. The only kind of people who would be impressed with that ****, are people I would not care to be around anyway. Money definitely makes life easier, but if you make it your god, you end up living a very shallow, ego driven life. My goal is to minimize and eliminate any debt I incur, and increase income producing assets, and not lose my soul doing it.

My advice is be patient. Understand and embrace the concept of deferred gratification. Learn the value of passive income. Learn how to use credit as a tool, not as a means of support for a lifestyle. Stay out of debt, unless it is for real estate (and in that case make sure you come with a good down payment). Don't make money your god. BE PATIENT.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dave Ramsey?

Lives in this house:
cdn.biblemoneymatters.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_10_dave_ramsey_house_3.jpg

With money earned from telling people:
"The FICO score measures how much debt you currently have and how well you are paying it off. So if someone has no debt, there FICO score is “0″. A person could have millions in the bank and no debt at all, but have a FICO score of “0″. OR "Certificate of deposits are not a secure investment." OR "I recommend mutual funds because they always beat the SNP."

All of which is as about as wrong as you can get.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try but my credit sucks, my wife's credit sucks, I have to rent, have a ton of student loan debt and tons of other debt. It is the biggest nightmare in my life. I get depressed everyday I wake up because of it. Wish I could go back in time. Ain't life grand. But at least I can show my son what not to do. And part of that is to not get hooked on dope. It ruined my credit. Now I have so much debt I will never get it paid off. I want my own house but that ain't happening for a long time.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go buy the paperback " The Richest Man in Babylon" , read it and and study it. My mother bought that book for me 25 years ago and I wish she would have bought it for me sooner. It has changed my life and the way I acquire and treat money. To me, hard work or rather working hard is easy to teach. There are plenty of people that are hard workers and because of not understanding the rules of managing money are just barely getting by.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got lucky, my mom was a banker and my dad a car painter and car dealer. She liked credit, he paid everything in cash almost. Learned a lot from both.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave Ramsey?

Lives in this house:
cdn.biblemoneymatters.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_10_dave_ramsey_house_3.jpg

With money earned from telling people:
"The FICO score measures how much debt you currently have and how well you are paying it off. So if someone has no debt, there FICO score is “0″. A person could have millions in the bank and no debt at all, but have a FICO score of “0″. OR "Certificate of deposits are not a secure investment." OR "I recommend mutual funds because they always beat the SNP."

All of which is as about as wrong as you can get.

Can you post a pic of your mortgage free mansion so we can compare?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once again (and again and again) you failed to grasp a simple point. If you're going to stalk me the least you could do is bring something, anything, to the table. Your inane, pointless replies are boring me.

What point? You said Dave Ramsey says X, Y, and Z, and you say (and I quote) "All of which is about as wrong as you can get" AFTER you post a pic of his palatial mansion. So it seems he's not all that wrong to most of us. You continually throw red meat out then ***** when we feed on it. Jeesh...

Latest posts

Top Bottom