SS Disability Fund Almost Broke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long story short, the SS disability program runs out of enough money next year to pay full benefits. There is a political fight in congress over what to do to shore it up so disability recipients keep getting their full check.
The most popular idea seems to be to transfer money from the SS retirement fund to the SS disability fund.
As someone nearing the SS retirement age that kind of ticks me off.
What about you?

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch)—The Social Security disability-insurance program faces the “urgent threat” of reserve depletion in late 2016 unless Congress acts to replenish the fund, trustees of the program said Wednesday in their annual report.

Trustees said that Congress should take “prompt corrective action” to shore up the disability fund.

In the past, Congress has diverted tax revenue from Social Security’s main retirement program to allocate more revenue to disability benefits, said Kathy Ruffing, a senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew said he was confident that Congress would come up with a fix.
If the disability fund is depleted, it will be able to pay only 81% of benefits.

Social Security’s combined funds will be solvent until 2034, one year later than estimated in the prior report.
The Medicare hospital-insurance trust fund will be able to continue paying full benefits without any changes in the law through 2030, the same as estimated last year, the trustees said.
Social Security and Medicare together accounted for 42% of federal spending in fiscal year 2014.
The programs face long-term challenges as millions of baby boomers reach retirement age.

Total Medicare costs will grow from about 3.5% of gross domestic product in 2014 to 5.4% of GDP by 2035.
Ruffing of the CBPP said the two programs “are not unaffordable or ‘bankrupt’.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/so...-threat-of-2016-shortfall-trustees-2015-07-22

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It ticks me off.

I personally believe abuse of SS Disability is rampant. I know some of it is legit, but they need to find a way to week out the abuse...

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It ticks me off.

I personally believe abuse of SS Disability is rampant. I know some of it is legit, but they need to find a way to week out the abuse...

I have a neighbor who is on disability. She also owns a business that is in her husbands name, who is a well known home builder. She sells Tupperware type products and fraudulently misrepresents her income to continue to receive disability.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who is on disability. She also owns a business that is in her husbands name, who is a well known home builder. She sells Tupperware type products and fraudulently misrepresents her income to continue to receive disability.

Report it. If you know someone is committing fraud, and you don't report it, you're part of the problem.

You can use this online form to report allegations of fraud, waste, and abuse concerning SSA programs and operations

You can do so completely anonymously.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
It ticks me off.

It's not as bad as you think. It is a pain in the ass to get, and there are people who legitimately need it. However, we turn down clients all the time whose cases we think are BS.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Report it. If you know someone is committing fraud, and you don't report it, you're part of the problem.

You can use this online form to report allegations of fraud, waste, and abuse concerning SSA programs and operations

Thank you for your invaluable insight. I did report it and nothing apperrantly happened. The entire process is a joke and is a kin to the corruption of the IRS. Those who are in charge want as many people as possible sucking on the tit.

I spoke to Tom Coburn's office and found the correct and essentially impossible way to report it. They wanted the ss number of my neighbor. Yeah right, let me go get that from her.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I reported a bill from a Dr I never saw. The folks at SS were glad I called them. 2 months later they paid the bill anyway, I have no need to see an OBGYN and doubt I ever have need of one, but SS sent the guy in OKC just over $900.

I have been told that it costs more than they would save to investigate SS fraud, I know a couple people who are on disability and work full time for cash, reporting them did nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom