Knife deals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
USA made is always worth more than China made.

I've always like Schrade knives, even though they have never been expensive. Back in 2004 Schrade closed its doors after 100 years of service. At that time I started buying any and every model produced by them. Now I have a very large collection of USA made Schrade, plus all other names under their company. Even though Schrade's are still being made they all come out of China, and the USA made one's have been climbing in price. They haven't climbed a lot, but most of mine have tripled in price.

As to your's, with anything that once was a USA made product, it will eventually go up in price.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP: Those are indeed low prices.

The first knife (Starter) is garbage. I speak from experience. Just say no.

Second one (Clash) not too bad for a beater.

Third (SS Cryo) is massively overrated imho. Get the G10 version instead. But that is a really low price.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
OP: Those are indeed low prices.

The first knife (Starter) is garbage. I speak from experience. Just say no.

Second one (Clash) not too bad for a beater.

Third (SS Cryo) is massively overrated imho. Get the G10 version instead. But that is a really low price.
Thanks, that's the info I needed.

I'll just hold out for another Blur.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what I consider a gem of a knife deal: Cold Steel Large Voyager clip point for under $35. If you like em big (4" blade) that is an amazingly capable folder for the dough. It's surprisingly nimble and lightweight, too.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...mail&utm_campaign=Friday's Sale Item&kcno=123

These are the former AUS-8A bladed versions of the Voyager. They are being closed out to make room for the new production that has Carpenter CTS-BD1 blade steel; those are coming soon. BD1 is cool but I don't think it's some huge upgrade. Cold Steel stuck with that AUS-8A for many years and they got it really dialed in as a good resilient mid-grade utility steel.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score

I've always like Schrade knives, even though they have never been expensive. Back in 2004 Schrade closed its doors after 100 years of service. At that time I started buying any and every model produced by them. Now I have a very large collection of USA made Schrade, plus all other names under their company. Even though Schrade's are still being made they all come out of China, and the USA made one's have been climbing in price. They haven't climbed a lot, but most of mine have tripled in price.

As to your's, with anything that once was a USA made product, it will eventually go up in price.
Thanks. I don't collect knives or worry about future value. Just looking for something for everyday use.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Here's what I consider a gem of a knife deal: Cold Steel Large Voyager clip point for under $35. If you like em big (4" blade) that is an amazingly capable folder for the dough. It's surprisingly nimble and lightweight, too.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...mail&utm_campaign=Friday's Sale Item&kcno=123

These are the former AUS-8A bladed versions of the Voyager. They are being closed out to make room for the new production that has Carpenter CTS-BD1 blade steel; those are coming soon. BD1 is cool but I don't think it's some huge upgrade. Cold Steel stuck with that AUS-8A for many years and they got it really dialed in as a good resilient mid-grade utility steel.
Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got mine for around $45 couple years ago and think that was already a good buy.

Some people dislike the looks of the "maltese cross" grip pattern on the handle but it works great. I do recommend a few light passes of sandpaper under the pocket clip before carrying the knife; otherwise the pattern will tend to shred your pockets when you extract the knife. This fix is easy.

If a folder can ever be a legit "tactical" knife, the large Voyager is a strong candidate. But it is not some thick-bladed pry bar. The slim blade makes it a nice slicer for utility stuff.

The Tri-Ad lock is my favorite folding knife lock system, and it is almost certainly the toughest and strongest you could buy.

Not a US knife, but a Taiwanese one, which for several different reasons I much prefer over buying knives made in China.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Kershaw Blur and would agree it's a damn good knife, but 9 times out of 10, I'm grabbing my Benchmade before anything else.
I know you've heard it a thousand times, but you do get what you pay for.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I just bought a shrade for the first time today at academy. I like it. Don't know how well it will hold up but it should do fine. Came with a Kydex sheeth and was only $35. I used to have a Kershaw and the blade broke. And for the $60 I paid it should have lasted much longer. In my books Kershaw is a ripoff. Most of theirs are made in China with the exception of a few. And those have pretty high price tags. In my books most knives are way overpriced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom