Preparing for active shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my take on the rifle. Is it better to have? Absolutely. It gives you options. Is it the best idea to deploy it? In most cases, no. You're not walking around with it on, so accessing it is going to take time. Time probably best spent unassing the area and calling in reinforcements. If you're caught where you need to engage the shooter, it's going to be on demand and right then. How far away is that rifle in the trunk likely to be? By the time you access it, is it likely that 1st responders will see you instead of the active shooter, placing you at greater risk from responders than the shooter? These are things to consider.

One caveat is those who frequent remote areas. A 1st responder may be 40 minutes away instead of 4. I'd definitely be adding a rifle to the kit under those circumstances, as the range to the shooter might be longer as well.

Yep, I think my original statement was from a LEO source where they may be engaged in an active shooter for a period of time, so they need to get to their rifle.

I always remember watching the Shooting in the tower in Austin Tx where the LEO put out a request on TV for deer hunters to bring in their rifles, as they couldn't reach the shooter effectively with their pistols. Revo's at the time if I remember right.

I travel with my rifle a lot, as the farm is 45 miles from the home. Lots of "varmints" at the farm.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you can put together a KISS trunk gun for $600, Why not have it? I'd rather have it and not need it. "Be Prepared" you never know where you'll be or what will happen.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you can put together a KISS trunk gun for $600, Why not have it? I'd rather have it and not need it. "Be Prepared" you never know where you'll be or what will happen.

And this is true, and is what I am considering.

GTG and Dennis, I agree, and while I don't usually have to worry about response time, it's something I don't want to have to be worried about. Yesterday when there was the shooting at meridian and reno here less than 300 yards from my work it really drove the idea into my head.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you shot IDPA? do you have a shoot near you? Planning and equipment have to be taken care of, yes, but being able to hit a target in a pressure situation is important and IDPA will give you a very much needed increase in your skill level.

Standing still at a range with a static target builds one set of skills.

Shooting IDPA builds a new and much needed set of skills.

I have noticed that in the simple IDPA action drills that I do, about 5% of the people realize that the combination of them and their equipment is not performing under pressure. Many misconceptions are put to the test under pressure. These 5% usually change the action type of their pistol to something more simple or a brand that is dependable. The other 95% already use equipment they can perform with and know this thru shooting IDPA type stages.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you shot IDPA? do you have a shoot near you? Planning and equipment have to be taken care of, yes, but being able to hit a target in a pressure situation is important and IDPA will give you a very much needed increase in your skill level.

I have noticed that in the simple IDPA action drills that I do, about 5% of the people realize that the combination of them and their equipment is not performing under pressure. Many misconceptions are put to the test under pressure. These 5% usually change the action type of their pistol to something more simple or a brand that is dependable. The other 95% already use equipment they can perform with and know this thru shooting IDPA type stages.

I have not, but it is something I would like to get in to when time and funds allow after I get my rifle build done.

Handling my emotions/weapon in a high stress environment and achieving the task at hand isn't a big deal, I have a considerable anount of training and practical application due to my time in the marine corps and a combat deployment, however I will admit that my skill level isn't where I want it and I am definitely out of practice.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'll compete 4 run and guns this year with a 4th coming in Oct, does that count? Haven't been around many other shooting competitions. I got 8th in shooting last time, I'd like to think translates to having and running good gear. I really should run a handgun harder since it's what I'd be using the majority of the time.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll compete 4 run and guns this year with a 4th coming in Oct, does that count? Haven't been around many other shooting competitions. I got 8th in shooting last time, I'd like to think translates to having and running good gear. I really should run a handgun harder since it's what I'd be using the majority of the time.

How does one get into such activities?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does one get into such activities?

Try looking at web sites for local gun ranges. For instance, USSA often runs competitions and puts them on their calendar. Just show up. Bring friends if possible; it's a helluva lot more fun! Call the range and ask them about the basic "needs" you'll need to bring, or go to the Competition Shooting (I think) section on this site. It will give you an idea of how much ammo/mags you'll need and the basic equipment rules.

Latest posts

Top Bottom