Best a thing about being a Dad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm dreading that. A friend of mine told me to wait until the first time your son says, "I hate you." He said it's like a knife in the heart, but you just realize it's a phase. They get passed it. I guess it's just like what we did as teenagers. Part of the endless cycle. ****, I sound all Zen. Ha ha ha

Honestly. I think its them laughing and smiling.

I used to be their HERO when they was young and i couldn't afford jack ****. Hell- we thought it was an awsome Friday night if we got a bucket of bluebell ice cream!!

Now they are teenagers and im a ZERO. Now im comfortable and could spend a lot on doing stuff but they just dont want to do anything as teenagers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm dreading that. A friend of mine told me to wait until the first time your son says, "I hate you." He said it's like a knife in the heart, but you just realize it's a phase. They get passed it. I guess it's just like what we did as teenagers. Part of the endless cycle. ****, I sound all Zen. Ha ha ha

I kept mine roped in while teens by getting them into individual sports. Motocross caught both of their fancy's. Even though it wasn't a school sponsored activity, I treated as one.
They had to bring home an activity card from each of their teachers every week showing their grade point average that was expected if they were to continue to race bikes. Just like schools do with sponsored team sports.

When the equipment was broke, They had to be by my side, handing tools, watching what was going on for a reason. They learned what tools were, and what they did as well as learning they had to commit their own time if they wanted to stay in the game.

Grades go below the level.....they stayed home. Since it was a state championship points racing series, and they were in the lead in their classifications, every race was important to stay in the chase. A weekend at home could cost the season win.

That's what worked for me.

You kind of loose them around 16-late 20's.

Their buddies know a whole lot more than a parent ever did, and they will take their advice way before they will take a parents.

I probably made a mistake during the post 16 yr old era. I still tried to keep them corralled when I should have let them fly on their own somewhat. There is a fine line there. Every person is an individual and should be treated as such.

Last edited:

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With out a doubt its the times when they have that uncontrollable laughter! Where they are giggling so hard that you cant help but get a smile from ear to ear. bit seeing all of their successes is also pretty awesome! We just had a blast at a first successful handstand and double cartwheel! (she wants to be a cheerleader and a gymnast)

Also if anybody on here knows any good places to teach cheer/tumbling/gymnast stuff for a 5 year old around OKC let me know.

kwood101

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely think having someone to blame whenever you break something, fart, or forget to do something haha. I think my favorite part is watching to stuff that I know he gets from me which is sometimes awesome other times really scary.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you the worst part about being a step dad is the day the little girl you've helped raise for the last 5 years says she'd rather live with her dad at Disney Land Richardson.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh wow, where to start......... I have 3 wonderful children, 24, 21 & 18. Each are different so and brought different things to us.
Questions by the 1000's as small kids, first steps, first loves, simple statements, learning from me about hands on work (wife is the emotional, thoughtful one)
Daughter texting me "Your the best father in the world"....then me remembering her applying fingernail polish, toenail polish and even makeup (practice for job at Penny's).....being goofy cuz I dont care what others think if I'm making her smile and laugh.
Son's learning mechanical skills and years later telling me how they did it a similar but better way etc. Watching them grow to be strong men who give a firm handshake while looking in your eye......
Hearing from other parents. .."Your kids are so well behaved etc etc"

I am proud of my kids......more than I thought possible.

DNO

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 26 and 21 year old daughters on vacation with the wife and I last month. My grandson is in the middle.I guess just getting to spend time with them is the best part. ABC_9001.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom