Resolution filed to oust Boehner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About freaking time!

John Boehner coup: Rep. Mark Meadows files motion to oust House Speaker

Tea party champion Rep. Mark Meadows filed a motion Tuesday to oust House Speaker John A. Boehner from his leadership post, escalating the feud between a faction of conservative lawmakers and the Republican leadership.

Mr. Meadows, North Carolina Republican, filed a motion to “vacate the chair,” which could force a no-confidence vote by the full chamber and result in the removal of Mr. Boehner as speaker.

In the resolution, Mr. Meadows says Mr. Boehner, Ohio Republican, “has endeavored to consolidate power and centralize decision-making, bypassing the majority of the 435 Members of Congress and the people they represent.”

He accused the speaker of limiting debate, pushing legislation to the brink to compel votes in a state of crisis, and moving to “punish Members who vote according to their conscience” instead of how he wants.

The Meadows resolution says Mr. Boehner has caused the Congress to “atrophy,” making it “subservient” to the executive and judicial branches.

Rep. Mark Meadows, North Carolina Republican, filed a motion to vacate the chair, which could force a no-confidence vote by the full chamber and result in the removal of John A. Boehner as House Speaker.

Conservatives long have urged a coup against Mr. Boehner, who they view as too eager to make deals with Democrats and unwilling to go to the mat fighting for conservative principles.

Still, the maneuver attempted by Mr. Meadows is extremely difficult to pull off because it would require majority support of the full chamber — including Democrats — to succeed.

The motion also was filed as a nonprivilege resolution, sending it to the House Committee on Rules, which could choose to take it up or not, as is the case with all legislation that comes before the committee.

Mr. Boehner did not comment on the attempted coup Tuesday, but he is expected to hold a regularly scheduled press conference Wednesday.

Source

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About time they get rid of that RINO.

They have an opportunity to defund planned parenthood right now before they go on vacation, and bonehead blocked it.

That's just the latest BS he has done. I'll bet the dims are clapping loudly right now.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About time they get rid of that RINO.

They have an opportunity to defund planned parenthood right now before they go on vacation, and bonehead blocked it.

That's just the latest BS he has done. I'll bet the dims are clapping loudly right now.

Not really, they have choice of support him or support the conservatives trying to oust him. Either way they lose.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really, they have choice of support him or support the conservatives trying to oust him. Either way they lose.

That's the point. With Weepy at the helm, they DON'T lose! :mad:

Boehner wouldn't know leadership if it fell out of his eye in a crocodile tear. Sadly, the RINO's will support him and even if Meadows gets a vote, The Boehner will remain.

Seriously, he's the worst GOP speaker I can remember. :(

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the point. With Weepy at the helm, they DON'T lose! :mad:

I am talking about them losing points with their own people. The house Dims have spent all the time since he became Speaker telling their base how far right he is, how they can not work with him, yada, yada, yada. Now they either get to back him or the conservatives trying to get rid of him.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly, the resolution will almost certainly fail. Boehner gets even with dissenters and they all know this.

This resolution was filed by one of those dissenters who had his committee seat yanked for not voting with him. He then relented to the public outcry and gave it right back to him. I doubt that there are going to be any repercussions on this deal, at least not that the public will see. And quite frankly I can see this one going through with the way the wind is blowing right now. Boehner decided to hold off tabling this until after recess under some pressure. Had he put it to a vote right now like he could have he probably would have actually survived it pretty easily. During recess every rep is going to get an ear full about Boehner so he may be toast. But then again the Washington Cartel still doesn't seem to be willing to see the storm approaching, I think that they think it will just go away if they hang together and keep ignoring their constituents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom