Cool-Headed Cop Doesn't Shoot Double-Murder Suspect...Still Goes Home to Family

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the story, but follow the link anyway--it has the full incident as captured on the offiicer's body cam, and an interview.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/officer-i-wanted-to-be-absolutely-sure-before-i-used-deadly-force/32436026

ELSMERE, Ky. —Officer Jesse Kidder has only been on the New Richmond police force for a year, but he did two tours of duty in Iraq as a Marine and he's a Purple Heart recipient.
Still, he said he's never been confronted the way he was on Thursday.

"Law enforcement officers all across the nation have to deal with split-second decisions that mean life or death. I wanted to be absolutely sure before I used deadly force," said Kidder.

It's easier said than done, and that has never been clearer than through the lens of Kidder's body camera, when the homicide suspect he was following on Thursday got out of his car and charged.

"He jumped out and he sprinted towards me. I had my firearm already drawn on me, and I told him to put his hands up in the air and he was screaming as he was yelling, 'Shoot me, shoot me'," Kidder said.

Dispatchers had told Kidder the suspect may threaten suicide by cop and that he could have a gun under his seat, but Kidder relied on his own split-second observations to know what to do.

"So he's got his arms at his side while he's running at me and that's the first thing I noticed," Kidder said as he watched the video. "He put his hand in his pocket there, so my eyes are watching that hand right now and nothing else."

Knowing backup was coming, Kidder back-pedaled while the suspect continued to insist Kidder shoot him.

"I was trying to open a dialogue with him. 'I don't want to shoot you, get on the ground,' but he wasn't having it. He kept repeating, 'Shoot me.' At one point, he said 'Shoot me or I'll shoot you,'" Kidder said.

Then, the suspect charged at Kidder again. Kidder tripped and fell backwards.

"He got towards my face right as I lost balance," Kidder said. "I'm thinking, at this point, that if he goes into attack me, that I'll have to use deadly force to defend myself."

Just in time, backup arrived, and the suspect surrendered.

"For him to make the judgment call that he did shows great restraint and maturity," said New Richmond Police Chief Randy Harvey. "This video footage, it eliminated all doubt that this officer would have been justified if in fact it came to a shooting."

Kidder said one of his relatives gave him the body camera to use at work after what happened in Ferguson. Harvey said he's hoping to find funding to get them for the rest of his officers.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What bothers me about this is that several of the "black lives matter" bandwagon folks are using this as it should be an example. Each scenario is different, and this officer is lucky this guy wasn't serious about attacking him when he called his bluff.

If the officer would've shot him, would the officer have been justified? He got too close for my comfort, but I wasn't there.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have shot him....no question....as to the "black lives matter" folks....their founder gave a speech at their convention in Phx. "burn it down....rise the f^&% up"....their founder - leader - said that.... pretty clear what their intentions are...keep your powder dry and pay attention....all of this is coming to a head....

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was sort of hoping that somebody would pick up on Officer Kidder's statement that "...I wanted to be absolutely sure before I used deadly force," and compare it to the "I'm going home safe, no matter what" attitude...the difference between service and self.

Instead, we're going to get mired in racial politics. Heaven forfend they actually insist we try to avoid killing them.

Whatever. This is what a good cop does. Even his chief says so: "For him to make the judgment call that he did shows great restraint and maturity," said New Richmond Police Chief Randy Harvey.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're going to either lose a lot of cops due to PC or have them jailed and sentenced, LBJ's "Great Society" did this to us, more people were working before this was passed. They had to work to eat and there was less crime. If one has a gun and some nut rushes you, my first thought would be that "he's going to take my weapon and shoot me." And I'd have to defend myself then and in court if it were a minority that accosted me. Sad, but it's stupid to challenge someone with a loaded gun pointed at you, a cop has to defend themselves. I believe this cop was either a very good guy and under appreciated or he didn't want to be held to ridicule at a rigged trial.

Latest posts

Top Bottom