Having to another truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Galvanic corrosion requires an electrolytic solution to occur. Hence the need for sacrificial anodes on water tanks and boat motors. The water creates the galvanic cell between the dissimilar metals.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You make a point. Galvanic corrosion is bad enough that we have to use anodes on our water tanks and boat motors, but the corrosion takes many years to become a problem.

And they are in constant contact with liquid. That's the other component necessary. I don't drive my truck underwater.

Edit: Dangit, 300WSM beat me to it.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, think about this for a minute. How many aluminum flatbeds have you seen? How about aluminum stock trailers and horse trailers? How many of those have melted down around the steel springs and steel spring shackles that were "contaminating" them? ZERO!!! Is galvanic corrosion real? Of course. Is it a concern in this application? No. Not at all. Thinking that screwing a couple holes into your bed with steel screws will cause your entire bed to disintegrate and eat itself up is idiocy. How many aluminum tool boxes have you seen that have melted down due to galvanic corrosion from sitting on a steel pickup truck bed? NONE! EVER!! You know what I have seen? I've seen a lot of rusted out steel trucks and rusted out steel stock trailers. I'll take aluminum with its possible galvanic corrosion over steel with regular old red rust any day.
LOL, You should go buy a new F150 then. Just let any body shop work on it then. There are plenty that believe the same thing you do. it would be hard to blame anything that failed on the aluminum anyway. Those shops can't fix steel properly either. I'm not sure why Ford is requiring all the aluminum bays and certifications to support their warranty or why Mercedes bothers with all their facility inspections. And the Jaguar door in our office we had to buy a second time is just a myth.

It's all relative I guess. I meet people daily that have their cars hacked together and can't tell, people that can't see hail damage, paint jobs that don't belong on tractors and they are happy with it. People ***** about the "cheap paint" when the clear peels off. Most of these trucks will be traded in long before they ever have any problems. I just don't think you'll see them years down the road like we see the 70s and 80s trucks today.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And they are in constant contact with liquid. That's the other component necessary. I don't drive my truck underwater.

Edit: Dangit, 300WSM beat me to it.

True. We don't drive underwater, but the water contained in a mud cake on a truck and its undercarriage might introduce the third component in the galvanic corrosion Ford thinks they might have?
Dunno. Just speculating.

Last edited:

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ford is making more mistakes than just the aluminum in regards to insurance premium increases. When they added their man step to the tail gate that jacked up the prices to ~$3k if it gets stolen. I bought another one last week. If you have one, those are a hot item BTW. Options like blind spot monitoring are becoming much more common. Now you have ~$900 tail lights. They've put an F150 logo inside their headlights. This will eliminate most aftermarket headlight use for insurance companies and limit reman capabilities. They are pushing more non-halogen too.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, You should go buy a new F150 then. Just let any body shop work on it then. There are plenty that believe the same thing you do. it would be hard to blame anything that failed on the aluminum anyway. Those shops can't fix steel properly either. I'm not sure why Ford is requiring all the aluminum bays and certifications to support their warranty or why Mercedes bothers with all their facility inspections. And the Jaguar door in our office we had to buy a second time is just a myth.

It's all relative I guess. I meet people daily that have their cars hacked together and can't tell, people that can't see hail damage, paint jobs that don't belong on tractors and they are happy with it. People ***** about the "cheap paint" when the clear peels off. Most of these trucks will be traded in long before they ever have any problems. I just don't think you'll see them years down the road like we see the 70s and 80s trucks today.

Most of those 70's and 80's trucks are rusted through or have had patch panels to replace the rust. Yet those old aluminum toolboxes they had in the back are just fine.

I grew up in a body shop. I can spot a repainted panel a mile away. I took extreme pride in our workmanship. And I've probably studied more chemistry and metallurgy than most people on this board. BTW, the car I now own is aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget the tailgate camera, wiring along with that man step. Even 20 years ago you could wrap up over a grand in replacing a damaged or stolen tailgate by the time you buy all the pieces, latches trim, paint, moldings and logos etc. I've seen headlamp assemblies cost over a grand each when you include that there is no aftermarket parts, motorized projectors, HID's and stuff, then you can add a few hundred bucks labor for taking the whole front of the vehicle off to replace.

Bigman405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ford is making more mistakes than just the aluminum in regards to insurance premium increases. When they added their man step to the tail gate that jacked up the prices to ~$3k if it gets stolen. I bought another one last week. If you have one, those are a hot item BTW. Options like blind spot monitoring are becoming much more common. Now you have ~$900 tail lights. They've put an F150 logo inside their headlights. This will eliminate most aftermarket headlight use for insurance companies and limit reman capabilities. They are pushing more non-halogen too.
I'll keep that in mind about the tail gate. I'm heading to Paul's Valley Monday to check out this 2015 F-150 4x4 Oklahoma Edition and if I l like it I'm buying. I know folks at work with the Eco boost and I hear nothing but good things about them. I got rid of my 2001 F-150 and I'm digging that Eco boost.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind about the tail gate. I'm heading to Paul's Valley Monday to check out this 2015 F-150 4x4 Oklahoma Edition and if I l like it I'm buying. I know folks at work with the Eco boost and I hear nothing but good things about them. I got rid of my 2001 F-150 and I'm digging that Eco boost.

I don't know if they come with it now, but I added a power tailgate lock to my truck. That way anytime I used my key fob to lock my doors it locked my tailgate too. Of course that doesn't make the tailgate unstealable, but it likely makes the thief move on to another target.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found a minty 2011 crew chevy, 36,000 miles, has the 5.3, looks new. Negotiated to 21K and now it's in my driveway. The only thing that feels "off" to me is the 20s it rides on. Overall very happy though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom