DIY 12 Gauge Dummy Rounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What better way to spend a rainy day than in the garage with a shot shell loader? I have been wanting some dummy rounds for a little while now so today was the day.

Usually the DIY dummy rounds say to cut off the crimped portion and fill with silicone like this:

[Broken External Image]

I am wanting something as close to the real deal as possible to practice the "load 2" method in my Benelli and ^^^ aint gonna cut it, so heres what I did.

[Broken External Image]
The Lee Load All...Cheap and simple. This was given to me by a friend a few years ago and this is the first time ive used it...or any sort of loader for that matter.

[Broken External Image]
Here is the goal. This is a good example of what I usually shoot, estate dove & target.

[Broken External Image]
Load the powder side up with corn meal. Throughout this process I would say the hardest part was to get the cornmeal to feed reliably. The next time I will use a coarse meal. Towards the end I would just spoon some meal in the shell to make sure it got enough.

[Broken External Image]
some #5 shot I got at a garage sale a while back. any size should work since all your looking for is some weighting material.

[Broken External Image]
Since this machine deprimes while resizing the brass I had to do this manually. A lot of people will punch out the primer and fill the space with silicone or an eraser to use as a snap cap. I just left the old primer because these are for loading not dry firing. I probably didn't need to resize the brass for an inert round but wasn't sure.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
Usual loading method...

[Broken External Image]
And BINGO! pretty nice eh

[Broken External Image]
People always recommend painting the inert rounds to avoid any confusion and these were the 2 brightest colors I had. Figured a splatter of light blue and copper would suffice since its all I had. Its flaking off pretty easy so to do it right you really would need to scotch bright the shells -> wipe with lacquer thinner -> hit with some adhesion promoter -> paint. After this flakes off bad enough I will pick up some bright orange are the hardware store and do it right.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]
Ive only got one of these trays and decided to designate it for the dummy rounds only. When I want to practice I take em out...when im done I put em back. Less chance of a mix up if I keep it organized.

[Broken External Image]
Ready for work!

EDIT: Omit the paint...horrible idea. just be careful which shells are which.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
he is saying use a permanent marker and color a band around the brass or plastic.

I like your silicone deal. as long as it does not stick to the plastic inside.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oooooh thanks man...I can be a little slow sometimes. The sharpie is 100 x's better idea than paint. Unless you like taking apart your gun to blow out the flakes constantly. The silicone shells arent mine I just used that pic as an example. I did end up putting some silicone at the crimped ends of mine to ensure they stay tight and no bb's come out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom