It's Coming: Fear the Walking Dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to watch it last night. It is interesting how the junkies are some of the first ones to experience the zombies. So far, so good. Looking forward to the story unfolding.

It makes sense that the first ones to fall victim to the infection would be people with weakened immune systems.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's basically the zombie apocalypse following several people as they eventually band together and figure out how to make things work in the world with massive numbers of zombies. When people die, they become zombies as they're already infected with the zombie bug (unsure if airborne, contaminated water, etc). The fear of the walking dead is set in California and shows the beginning of the outbreak. The walking dead is set in the Southeast, mainly Georgia, and focuses on the fallout as the years pass. It's really well made.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched it and actually enjoyed it.

I think that the slow uptake is to show what might actually happen with something like this.

The only guy who has seen what is happening is a drug addict and so no one believes what he has seen.
The only kid in the school who "knows" something is going on is the school nerd and no one believes what he is seeing on line.
"Don't you think that is something was happening, the authorities would let us know.". Famous last words.

I think in the next episode, the defecation will be hitting the ventilation and no one will know why the army is involved and if marshal law is declared, why.

I expect to see "the authorities" doing a lot of "nothing to see here. Move along."

And there are some interesting tie ins. I just happened to be watching a few of the old episodes and saw the one where Rick fell asleep on the bed and the gang invaded the house.
The lecture that the guy in "Fear" was giving was about Jack London and "Call of the Wild" and "To Build a Fire".
The book Rick was reading as he went to sleep was Jack London's "Call of the Wild".

Dave

Dave,

I like watching the zombie genre TV shows for fun but have never been convinced by their premise that slow shambling zombies would simply over-run the whole world. After the initial shock passes it is just too easy to deal with them. Remember the first show where a dead soldier was found inside a tank? - How the heck did that happen? Armored vehicles and tanks, even without considering the guns, would be a great way to deal with massed zombies - just turn them into zombie ribbon. However, at least I liked some of the characters in TWD from the get go - can't say the same for FTWD.
I found one line unintentionally funny - the mom of the addict turns to her live-in/psuedo-step father to the boy and tells him to "stop enabling" the boy by investigating his story about the Church. This from the woman who has actively run interference with him from the police, keeps paying his way through various re-habs and is angry at the doctor for calling in the police in the first instance.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never watched the walking dead. Would I de lost if I started watching this with no knowledge of the previous show? I'm looking for something to watch since Street Outlaws is off season.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave,

(snip) Remember the first show where a dead soldier was found inside a tank? - How the heck did that happen? Armored vehicles and tanks, even without considering the guns, would be a great way to deal with massed zombies - just turn them into zombie ribbon. (snip)

Easy.
Imagine being stuck in a locked car on an Oklahoma summer afternoon when the air temp is between 105 and 110.
Now imagine being stuck in an armored box with no gas, no windows and people all over trying to eat you for a couple of hours.
You'd die from overheating real quick.

Dave

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy.
Imagine being stuck in a locked car on an Oklahoma summer afternoon when the air temp is between 105 and 110.
Now imagine being stuck in an armored box with no gas, no windows and people all over trying to eat you for a couple of hours.
You'd die from overheating real quick.

Dave

It isn't that easy to run out of fuel in a tank and not notice it coming (at least in an Abrams) and if nothing else you could run your way through the zombies to open space - nah, just don't buy it. But then again since the premise includes zombies I guess it is hard to insist on "reality" as a baseline.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't that easy to run out of fuel in a tank and not notice it coming (at least in an Abrams) and if nothing else you could run your way through the zombies to open space - nah, just don't buy it. But then again since the premise includes zombies I guess it is hard to insist on "reality" as a baseline.

Man, you guys in the Air Force must think that everyone has their own refueling plane zipping along side them.
Or maybe it is just us guys on the ground don't have as far to fall if our "ship" runs out of fuel so we may not pay as much attention to the fuel gauge!!!

It would be easier than you think to run out of fuel, and not be able to get refueled, especially in an urban environment like downtown Atlanta.
Tell my you, your spouse or your kids has NEVER run out of gas in a civilian vehicle.

Plus, their was only one guy in the tank. It takes more than one guy to run the tank. Maybe only one to drive, but once you stop and try to man the guns, you are stopped. And all those squishy zombies will get caught in the treads and muck up the tracks as you drive thru them. Puts a lot of drag on the engine. Maybe clogs up the intake vents. And you think running over a skunk gives you an "aromatic adventure", imagine all them zombies!!

Dave

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think one of the premises of the show is that "everyone is infected." In other words, if you fell off a building trying to escape and broke your neck, you'd reanimate as a zombie. Same if you died of a sickness or infection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom