Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon vs Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What changed from 1st gen to 2nd gen? Are they not reliable anymore in your opinion?
They are still just as reliable mechanically. They got bigger (those of us who use them offroad don't like that) they got more complicated and yuppified as montesa pointed out. Overall build quality/feel is worse compared to the 1995-2004 generation.

Still leagues better than the other compact trucks on the market in America though. I would buy a Tacoma over anything in its class. Twice on Sunday. I've owned 2 for a combined 300k+ miles.

My 200K plus '07 has been used hard. No regrets on the purchase. Dad is pushing 300k (most pulling a box trailer) on his '06. One breakdown (alternator).

Taco or nothing in the small truck class IMO. Still, the first gens were better in almost every way...to me. Montesa knows what I mean.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure. I like the simple older trucks. They're like refined tractors. That's how I see them. Incredibly strong and reliable and you can put them through hell.

Put them through hell is what I do to my Tacoma. It's a 1st gen 95 that had rear leaf spring issues, but the addition of overload springs and air bags let me pull tractors and implements down the road quite well.
This beast has pulled 2bottom plows and 8' disks putting in food plots.
It goes through red gumbo mud like it's not there.
319,000 + miles on the odometer with some Ujoint failures. I'll be driving it to New Mexico again this winter to elk hunt in the mountains.
3-4K miles between oil changes with Valvoline 10W40

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439262887.781908.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439262940.500100.jpg

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 150k miles in my Tacoma I wonder every morning how this thing keeps going and doesn't change. Doesn't sound or drive any different. Doesn't need anything but fluid changes.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Taco, but the 2016 refresh is SORELY needed. Toyota got lazy with the utter lack of smaller trucks in the U.S. market the past few years. You're paying 2015 money for a Taco, but getting 2008 tech and fuel economy. The truck world has moved on. I'd seriously consider the Canyon SLE, but only with an extended factory warranty. It's still new enough that you just don't know what issues may creep up in the future.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put them through hell is what I do to my Tacoma. It's a 1st gen 95 that had rear leaf spring issues, but the addition of overload springs and air bags let me pull tractors and implements down the road quite well.
This beast has pulled 2bottom plows and 8' disks putting in food plots.
It goes through red gumbo mud like it's not there.
319,000 + miles on the odometer with some Ujoint failures. I'll be driving it to New Mexico again this winter to elk hunt in the mountains.
3-4K miles between oil changes with Valvoline 10W40

View attachment 49675

View attachment 49676

Have you had to replace the clutch? Mine still feels the same. I've been pulling a small boat and wondering if it'll need to be replaced before 200k miles.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No contest here, we all know the answer and here's the proof.

Seriously, watch it. It's funny. Also, i know nothing about the reliability of the trucks, but I'd lean towards Toyota. I've seen their Hilux trucks driven into the dirt overseas and they still keep kicking. But you can't say ColorAdo when you talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No contest here, we all know the answer and here's the proof.

Seriously, watch it. It's funny. Also, i know nothing about the reliability of the trucks, but I'd lean towards Toyota. I've seen their Hilux trucks driven into the dirt overseas and they still keep kicking. But you can't say ColorAdo when you talk about it.

Hahaha awesome

Last edited by a moderator:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Taco, but the 2016 refresh is SORELY needed. Toyota got lazy with the utter lack of smaller trucks in the U.S. market the past few years. You're paying 2015 money for a Taco, but getting 2008 tech and fuel economy. .

Toyota has always been behind the others. They build it and the people come. My taco still uses cables to run the vents that control heat and AC. They don't fail.
Servo's fail on a regular basis in vehicles where they are used. Sometimes the old tech is better than the new tech when it comes to reliability.

Reliability is what makes them valuable and the resale so high. I still have peeps ask me to keep them in mind when I get ready to sell mine, even with all those miles. I still get a tad over 21mpg with the 190hp v6 after all those miles in normal conditions and less than a half quart of oil at changes. Not sure the new ones get that.

I'll have a new truck next year, likely a Toyota.

Latest posts

Top Bottom