Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon vs Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Earlier trucks are less refined but hold up over the long run. I owned a 2005 PreRunner double cab. I really liked the truck, much nicer than the earlier trucks I had owned. 4.0 had plenty of torque. Truck was comfortable. At 70,000 easy, well maintained miles it started to have all kind of problems. Ball joints went bad left and right side. A/C went out. Factory security system went bad. Its buried up in the center of the dash. Labor was more than the part. Wiring gremlins in the factory tow package wiring.

With all that being said, the wife has a 2014 Rav4 in the garage. We have had good service from every Toyota we have owned except one. GM over a Toyota - it would be the Toyota every time.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toyota has always been behind the others. They build it and the people come. My taco still uses cables to run the vents that control heat and AC. They don't fail.
Servo's fail on a regular basis in vehicles where they are used. Sometimes the old tech is better than the new tech when it comes to reliability.

Reliability is what makes them valuable and the resale so high. I still have peeps ask me to keep them in mind when I get ready to sell mine, even with all those miles. I still get a tad over 21mpg with the 190hp v6 after all those miles in normal conditions and less than a half quart of oil at changes. Not sure the new ones get that.

I'll have a new truck next year, likely a Toyota.

I can't disagree with that logic. The wife and I would love to have one of the new 4Runner TRD Pro's, but it's kind of hard to spend the money when the 2002 we have works perfectly fine. :anyone:

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_CIMG0154.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My little '94 Nissan that I had was almost like RH's Taco. 167,000 miles, was on it's 3rd set of front brake pads, 2nd alternator (original went out at 40k) and a battery every once in awhile. Still had the rear shoes and they looked like they had no wear. A programmer I worked with in kommiefornia drove an old Taco and it was a 4 cyl, standard trans base model, looked like hammered hell, but he had 387k on the clock, it still drove good and got good mileage. He was like why upgrade? It does what I need it to do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't disagree with that logic. The wife and I would love to have one of the new 4Runner TRD Pro's, but it's kind of hard to spend the money when the 2002 we have works perfectly fine. :anyone:

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_CIMG0154.jpg

Nice looking rig!

My little '94 Nissan that I had was almost like RH's Taco. 167,000 miles, was on it's 3rd set of front brake pads, 2nd alternator (original went out at 40k) and a battery every once in awhile. Still had the rear shoes and they looked like they had no wear. A programmer I worked with in kommiefornia drove an old Taco and it was a 4 cyl, standard trans base model, looked like hammered hell, but he had 387k on the clock, it still drove good and got good mileage. He was like why upgrade? It does what I need it to do.

Bolded reads my mind. I trust it to take me to NM, why get a new one? I don't worship my vehicles. To me they are a tool to be used. I worked with a guy that had a Z71 that had a 3" lift kit on it. He waxed the frame regularly so it would shine. Had a chrome rear cover on the 3rd member that shined like a goats a$$, but that vehicle never saw mud. He worshiped the look of that vehicle.

Mine has not been in a car wash for a couple of years. Mother nature takes care of that washing BS. LOL. Find some deep puddles and blow the undercarriage mud out. My 95 has a lifetime warranty against rust thru. I suspect I'll test that warranty before its gone.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna take the other side of the fence. I just bought a Colorado Z-71, 9000 miles on it. Program or repo, I don't know. Most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned, quiet as a tomb. Got 27mpg @ 65mph on I-40, dropped down to 25 going south on the Indian Nation. Not sure why, maybe a headwind. I never get the mileage on the IN that I get anywhere else.

I know a lot of folks in this forum don't care for GM anymore, but they are making some really nice vehicles right now. Not saying the Colorado is a better truck than the Toyota, but I'm really happy with mine.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Toyota RAV4, 1998, model for 16 years and no major problems. I wanted a new truck but Toyota's are so high priced I decided they weren't worth that much.
They wanted over 10k compared to a GMC. So I figured the Toyota wasn't worth 10k more than a GMC. So I bought the GMC and so far I haven't had any problems with it.
It's over 2 years old and still under warranty for a few more months. I'm sure the Tundra's are nice but not sure they are that much nicer! I don't know about the Tacoma's
and Colorado's etc. But the Tacoma was too small for me. I had trouble getting in and out of it and would probably have trouble with the Colorado too. So I went with a full
size truck. I also don't care for all the electronic stuff they put on the new vehicles these days. I prefer the old reliable stuff.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the 2015 Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon? Would you consider buying one over a Toyota Tacoma? Especially considering the Taco is about to get an update in 2016?

If I were in the market for a small truck, I'd get the Tacoma. The Colorado/Canyon just got an update and the reviewers are really kissing GM's arse over it and slamming the Taco for not having updated in something like a decade. As others have pointed out though, the Tacoma is getting an update in 2016. While the 4-banger engine will be the same old thing, it will be getting a newer, more fuel efficient 6-cylinder option. Both engines will get a 6-speed automatic transmission, and the V6 will have an option for a 6-speed manual transmission for those who are into that sort of thing.

Every Chevy/GMC pickup I've ever been in has developed some sort of rattle in the interior somewhere along the way. My dad has been driving full sized Chevy pickups since the early 1990s and my first vehicle was a 2001 GMC Sonoma. When it came time to replace the Sonoma, I got a Toyota Tundra. When my dad decided to replace his 2004 Silverado, he bought a Ford F150.

Latest posts

Top Bottom