Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon vs Toyota Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we were smart we would quit telling people how good our trucks have been so the used prices won't be as absurd when we need another. Subarus are kind of getting that way too.

The funny thing about Toyota owners is that most of us don't have these discussions out of brand love somehow tied to ego. I recommend tacomas the same way I would an appliance brand that has been excellent. If they cease being excellent I'll find something else that is and not look back. I just want my money to go as far as possible.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or there's so many and everyone is getting an oil change.

Oil changes? Toyota don't no oil changes. I just welded up my hood and drive 300000 miles. ;)

Toyota dealerships have parts departments that sale more than air/oil filters. As each generation of model become available with more horsepower and additional features they become slightly less reliable. Having owned four of them since the 70's that has been my experience.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI-Toyota's parts cost 2-3 times more

The price is way too high out of the gate too.

I bought 5 factory oil filters for my Tacoma for $20 as a normal retail customer from a local dealer. Parts are not 2-3 times more. In fact I would wager, it's the other way around.

I did a search on autotrader for the price on a new Colorado z71. It was over $40,000, for a freaking glorified s-10 that will be worth $10,000 in 10 years.

As compare to a TRD that you can get for $30,000 if you get out of the Texas region marketplace and it will be worth over $20,000 in 10 years.

The positive for the s10, I remember when it came out with the vortec 4.3 liter v6. That was an awesome motor. The downside is it would outlast everything else around it. And the best thing it was used for was as a donor in another vehicle, like a TJ.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a GM guy that owns a Lexus and an Avalanche. It's complete BS that toyota parts are 2-3 times more than GM by my experiences. GM makes great motors but that's about it. While my Avalanche is running strong with 180,000 miles when the Avalanche goes, I'm getting a Tundra, unless GM somehow magically steps up their game 10-fold.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As each generation of model become available with more horsepower and additional features they become slightly less reliable. Having owned four of them since the 70's that has been my experience.

Yup. Somewhere on the highway right now is an ancient 22RE holding up traffic, with 1 quart of oil in it and the radiator half full.

Didn't read all the way through to see if it's been mentioned, sorry all, I just figured I'd mention that the Canyon/Colorado is about to get a 4 banger turbo-diesel that's supposed to get nearly 30mpg.

That'll be a great motor in a ghey truck.

chevyboy3199

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have a colorado but it and the canyon are the same thing so it doesnt matter there, the only difference is the symbol and maybe the grille, as for toyota, its ok, i have a 4runner which runs and rides good but i just find id rather be in a more american car

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom