5 shot 38 special?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of those single stack 9 and 40 have a narrow grip aganist the palm - back strap and they are uncomfortable.

Then like you said the G17 and G26 which have a wider back strap/double stack mags, feel much better.

It is not uncommon for a guy to lock onto a gun and try and get a lady to like it, whereas the lady thru shooting diff guns can make her own determination.

most of my students do not like the small revolver.

titsonritz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll disagree 5 shot 38's are hard to shoot and harder to shot well.

^This right here.

S&W 442/642 are great carry guns but not for a beginner, honestly they are a pros gun. They are difficult to shoot well due to the long hard trigger pull and short sight radius, recoil is unpleasant, they are handicapped by limited capacity and are very difficult and slow to reload under stress compared to an auto loader. I got my daughter a S&W Shield for here first pistol and she couldn't be happier. She is not new to handguns and has shot my J-frame 38s, K-frame 357s, N-frame & Blackhawk 44 mags, Glock 9mm & 10mm, 1911s and she much prefers her slim single stack 9mm Shield. Don't get me wrong I love my J-frames but there is no way I'd send my little girl out in this world with one.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a ton of options other than the lightweights (e.g., 442/642). I have a 3" Model 60 that is a delight to shoot...even my 10 year old can handle it well. There's the Ruger SP101, Colt Detective Models, and a whole slew of steel-framed revolvers that really handle much differently than the lightweights.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For ladies who have issue's with caryring on the hip/waist, an Berns-Martin, or A.E.Nelson rig will work wonders, and it works wonders for us guys too. What is showing is my Berns-Martin. There is no reason to worry that the gun falling out as the gun is held by a steel wealt that braces both sides of the holster.

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_DSCN5553_zpsb431da4d.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_DSCN5555_zps68dd5cfe.jpg

.P.S. Due to the design of this holster, it can be drwn from either hand very rapidly

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lightweights (e.g., 442/642). I have a 3" Model 60 that is a delight to shoot...

When it comes to hitting something slightly smaller than the side of a barn, a 3" barrel is miles better than a 2" barrel. I was once plinking with my 442 at the range with a buddy. When none of my plates were falling, he asked what I was aiming at. The best answer I could give was: "I'm aiming North".

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be a good choice for a carry gun for a woman.
1) It's small, lightweight, and easy to use.
2) It should take that much training to learn how to utilize the gun.
3) .38 Special doesn't have that much recoil so she shouldn't be "scared" by it.
All she needs to do is get two or three of the H&K speed loaders and take the gun and speed loaders and throw them in her purse and she should be ready to go, as long as she does have the training and skill to utilize the gun at least at 15 yards and know how to use speed loaders well.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll make a suggestion here that should lay all questions to rest(Of course only if you read, and practice what is tought).Several years ago Ed Lovette wrote a book titled The Snubby Revolver. FOr anyone interested in shooting, shooting snubby revolver's, or just wanting to expand their firearms knowledge, please spend less than twenty dollars, and learn alot of what has been lost about these fine hand guns.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My manager has 2 S&W wheel guns. One 5 shot and one 6 shot full frame. With the right holster/set up I would say they are a fine carry piece.

A good Berns-Martin/ A.L. Nelson inverted rig two to three speedloaders, and maybe a speedstrip, anything short of a full on firefight(Somewhere you knew better to be in), I think you'll get through most days very comfortable.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, let your daughter choose her own gun. My wife's gun is a 4 inch S&W Model 681 (!) with a Crimson Trace grip. Loaded with Speer 135 grain .38 Special +P Short Barrel Gold Dots it is easy to shoot, accurate, and I trust it to protect her. Generally, a K or L frame revolver is easier to shoot than any J frame. My recommendation would be one of the two inch S&W Model 64s that seem to be available on the used gun market right now.

That said, I have a S&W 642-2 loaded with the Short Barrel .38 +Ps on my ankle to backup my S&W 686-6 duty revolver. My older daughter has my old Taurus 85SSUL loaded with the same ammo. (She's 40 and has been shooting since she was 10.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom