No more AR-15s available at Walmart?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prices were good - many scopes are on sale for half off or better, too. The only store left around here that I could find with any inventory at all was Claremore; got what I wanted, but got screwed on an AR10 because one of the associates heard that I was going to pick it up for my brother, and they said they wouldn't sell it to me because "that was against their policy, and was a 'straw purchase'". Gotta love people enforcing the law without a badge, and without a clue.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
got what I wanted, but got screwed on an AR10 because one of the associates heard that I was going to pick it up for my brother, and they said they wouldn't sell it to me because "that was against their policy, and was a 'straw purchase'". Gotta love people enforcing the law without a badge, and without a clue.
Against their policy?!?!? It is against Federal Law. Talk about not having a clue....

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it any different than buying it as a gift? Was he willingly buying it knowing that his brother couldn't legally possess firearms? I don't see how it's a strawman purchase. Sounded more like a gift purchase to me.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it any different than buying it as a gift? Was he willingly buying it knowing that his brother couldn't legally possess firearms? I don't see how it's a strawman purchase. Sounded more like a gift purchase to me.
The point is, if it was to be a gift for a brother who could legally possess an AR-10, all he had to do was keep his mouth shut and buy the damned thing. If he buys it for a brother who cannot, by law, possess such a weapon, it is a strawman purchase. The clerk, however, doesn't know which of the above two scenarios is the factual one, so the would-be buyer has only himself to blame for blurting out that it was for someone else. The possibility that it was a BATF sting might have also influenced the clerk's decision (maybe they're testing me, to see if I follow the rules, he may have thought). In any event, the clerk did as he was taught. And, for the record, an FFL can cancel a firearms transaction if he has ANY reason to believe something is not right about it.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prices were good - many scopes are on sale for half off or better, too. The only store left around here that I could find with any inventory at all was Claremore; got what I wanted, but got screwed on an AR10 because one of the associates heard that I was going to pick it up for my brother, and they said they wouldn't sell it to me because "that was against their policy, and was a 'straw purchase'". Gotta love people enforcing the law without a badge, and without a clue.

They actually only followed the law.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If he bought with intent to give it as a bona fide gift, that's fine. If he bought it with the intent that his brother would reimburse him for it, that's a straw purchase, regardless of whether his brother could legally own it or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom