Can anyone identify this bird of prey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took our 5 pound dog out for his morning ablutions and he was getting seriously eyeballed by this bad boy! Sorry for the bad lighting, but it was 7AM and VERY cloudy!

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_2622_zpsxchjio8s.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_2617_zps5l81pol3.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_2618_zpsnlnevei9.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_2615_zpsuvms9hn5.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_2612_zpsfhlpp2z7.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_2609_zps5ilby6tk.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_2608_zpsrusmqyy3.jpg

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a Mississippi Kite. They mainly eat dragonflys and grasshoppers but will take mice & lizards. I have a family of three living behind my house. They are incredible pilots!

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Cozican. I had a female nest on my property last year and raised a single chick. She nested here again this year and raised another single chick, so now I've got 3. I was concerned they might get my kid's kittens, but they have never bothered them.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Kites spend their winters in Mexico. When they returned this year, they did so in huge numbers. I've never seen more Kites overhead than I've seen this year. My immediate neighborhood usually sees 4 or 5 when they're in town. This year, I regularly see 20 or more. Mr and Mrs Kite seem to have had a very nice and productive Mexican vacation this year.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have em too. For a while we thought they were going after our bantam chickens which are probably the weight of your dog. We were told by an ornithologist that they are too light and fragile to prey on something that size. We eventually saw a red tailed hawk going after our chickens... the kite was thus excused..

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They do F16 high speed passes over our pool; just feet from us. I can lay in the pool and watch them soar all day. I know they do it for the thrill! I too have seen them all over town (NW side anyway).

Coz

Latest posts

Top Bottom