Can anyone identify this bird of prey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I worked as a dog catcher for OKC we would get a few calls every year about kite attacks. They seem to have a liking to attacking bald guys heads. There was a neighborhood on the southwest side of town that there was a block area where the residents were terrified to leave their houses, cause the kites would swoop and chase people, had chased a cat into traffic, and clawed 3 people. Pretty funny stuck.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kites don't like cold weather and they're some of the first birds of prey to migrate. I saw a dozen or so heading South in front of that cold front we had on Aug. 20th, so they're on the move now.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glock....I am soooo glad you posted this.

I had a pair (I assume) of those playing around my pond perhaps 6 weeks ago...I had no idea what they we're...no camera, of course.

Learn something new everyday. Mine looked exactly like this...I was able to Google it after you guys educated me.

Mississippi%20Kite.jpg

Last edited:

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have one that hangs around when we mow the yard.

A Kite scared me to death last year. I was mowing with my 'walk behind' mower in the front yard. Well the mower was scaring up bugs and critters and I guess a Kite was watching all this. Suddenly, this bird zoomed past me at neck level from behind and snagged a fleeing lizard in front of the mower. This bird passed me so close that I could feel the wind off his wings on the side of my face. He passed me just a foot from my head and it scared the crap out of me. These birds can really move when they're diving on prey.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're all over the place out where I'm at, near Choctaw. There are definitely more than there were in years past. They seem to spend their days cruising the back yards and harassing the sparrows. They're pretty little predators.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts with information and sightings guys! I love watching nature, particularly when it's something you don't get to see every day!

Latest posts

Top Bottom