Oklahoma to launch new public hunting/fishing lands program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/outdoors/bostiancolumn/oklahoma-to-launch-new-public-hunting-fishing-lands-program/article_e961054d-df0e-536c-95b4-cbf1e87092d4.html

For the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, which just landed a $2.26 million Farm Bill grant through the Natural Resource Conservation Service, a lot of work is just beginning.

After a few years applying, the state got word last week that it was one of several states awarded part of $20 million issued through the Voluntary Public Access and Habitat Improvement Program.

The money is used to pay private landowners to open their lands for public access.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/ms/home/?cid=stelprdb1242739

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why do we really need this? what would be nicer is food plots of correct crops on the land they already have.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
why do we really need this? what would be nicer is food plots of correct crops on the land they already have.
I am with you on this every public land place I have been to have the worst food plots most of the time they get them in so late they do good for hunting purposes. Yes its been dry last few years but it was that way before the dry spell.
I hate to say this but most of the land mangers on those places do not earn there money now there hands may be tied because people above them idk. All I know a lot of the places would have more wildlife if they done a better job with the habit.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am with you on this every public land place I have been to have the worst food plots most of the time they get them in so late they do good for hunting purposes. Yes its been dry last few years but it was that way before the dry spell.
I hate to say this but most of the land mangers on those places do not earn there money now there hands may be tied because people above them idk. All I know a lot of the places would have more wildlife if they done a better job with the habit.

Until recently, I believe they shared equipment across the state that was stored at one location. Therefore, logistics to get it to all the WMA's was a big task.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Until recently, I believe they shared equipment across the state that was stored at one location. Therefore, logistics to get it to all the WMA's was a big task.

For years, each region has had their own equipment to farm with. Usually enough equipment to farm on a small basis. 12' discs and 10' planters.

To the comment above Bassins. It has to be understood that they don't sit on their thumbs all year waiting to plant food plots. This time of year, quail are being trapped and surveyed. Dove are being trapped, spot light counts being conducted, public access is being maintained and prepped for the hunting season. AND food plots are being prepared and planted across several WMA's by a single person. Each technician in the state averages something like 35,000 acres of land to keep up with and several hundred acres of food plots that are not all one tract of land. Do the math and figure out how much time it takes to work up and plant 100 acres, let alone 200 acres of ground using a 12' disc and a 10' drill. Not to mention the fact that the ODWC employees don't collect a dollar if overtime pay.

To knock how bad they manage is just a slap in the face. The fact that a man can feasibly try to take a mature deer off if public ground in Oklahoma, is the proof that they are doing something right.

So instead of moaning about how bad it sucks, take a minute and be happy that we aren't in Texas where the only way you hunt public ground is by draw!

Latest posts

Top Bottom