ak 47 muzzle brake question, which ak's can have it an which can't...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
while looking to buy my first ak 47, I've noticed some are fitted with a slant muzzle brake and some with nothing.... after a little searching I'm confused on which if any of the slant brakes can be simple to change out...

I want to attach a tapco slotted brake but don't want to buy a gun that can't be adaptable to one...

so when looking to buy an ak in 762x39 what should I look for in means to make sure I can attach a muzzle brake of my liking??

sorry for the total newbie question but after seeing the difference a brake can have on these I think its the only way to go, the only experience I have with this round is through sks' I've had and have now....

I'm really looking for adjustable stock ak's first, second would be side folder, and last would be underfolder......

sure I'd like milled but trying to stay within a budget of $700

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Standard AK threads are 14x1 LH (left hand threads). Most AKMs and slant brakes will be 14x1.

I would definitely look into some other, better options that can be had fairly cheap before I went with a TAPCO anything.

For that budget there's a whole host of acceptable options.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles/ak-47-rifles/by,price.html
I'd have to recommend the DDI guns first, the new Century guns (RAS-47, C39, WASR-10) second. Avoid I.O. Inc like the plague.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I watched the wasr videos and was pretty impresssd compared to all the bad I've heard about these guns, the guys in the videos seemed impressed as well and said they have stepped up their QC... also looking at the RAS from century..

Is the nitrate better than the chrome lined?? Seems Adams Arms swear by it...

Out of these two options and seeing the new WASR with its exceptional MOA which would you guys pick??

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
man everyone talks about how century is really stepping up their game but I don't buy into it. Century is still the bottom of the barrel as far as AKMs go. I mean...they were still making guns that would blow up in your face in 2014...

and also 2014...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Appears the 74 had a squib, the century was all American made and their first attempt at a build.. the new WASR looks promising for the money and a first AK, even with all the bad press it appears they have stepped up in QC from what I've seen virtually anyhow, love to buy local but I know that wont happen as I cant find one..

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would get a saiga if it were me. I have one that I got about 2 months ago and I love it. And Atlantic has them for I think $699 and that is with the pistol grip and trigger conversion. But if you want an already finished ak with regular handguards and such then it's probably not for you. I wouldn't touch a wasr. There are many other rifles that are much better for just a tad more money. Is there a reason you want a slant break so bad?

Latest posts

Top Bottom