First time framing a room in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
" The room is built on the old patio"
is the patio and accompanying footing built to support walls....

This is a good question. I will have to check. I don't see why the previous owner would do such a thing, aside from being a moron.....Damn..... That may be the case. But the walls and roof over the room are not free standing and definitely have weight bearing beams in the walls. If I don't have a proper footing I'm screwed huh?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Im working with a 6" slab without a footer, I doubt there will be a problem with flooding, and as it sits, it is down from the house, so it won't affect the rest of the house even if it does flood.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy is a no nonsense kinda guy, and has no need for a sunroom, he wants to turn it into a bedroom/playroom for his daughter. With the 60 year old windows and particleboard walls it is not only an eyesore, but is not well insulated.

He was thinking of a window unit, I love the Mitsubishi units but I think it's out of his price range at the moment. I'll probably get the concrete pad done and wall plumbed and wired for the one when he decides to upgrade though. The room is built on the old patio, so there is a 3 step drop down to the room, and will make for next to no work for the transition, the threshold and existing walls are going to be redone, so that's gonna be taken care of.

A window unit only solves his problem 1/2 of the year.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to hijack here, but you all seem knowledgeable about problems I have at my home. Do any of you work in remodel / fixing issues like you were talking about? Or recommend someone?

I haven't been able to find anyone knowledgeable in the OKC area. PM me if you prefer that. I need estimates / game plans to fix issues on my house with regard to flooding and possible addition to the home done poorly.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to hijack here, but you all seem knowledgeable about problems I have at my home. Do any of you work in remodel / fixing issues like you were talking about? Or recommend someone?

I haven't been able to find anyone knowledgeable in the OKC area. PM me if you prefer that. I need estimates / game plans to fix issues on my house with regard to flooding and possible addition to the home done poorly.

I just do minor electrical work and stuff. Nothing professional. If I come across someone who does I can land you a pm

Botman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Building walls, sheetrock, roofing, insulating, electrical is all easy just takes time. The tricky part is getting everything square and plumb. Make sure you get the windows/doors dead on or you will be having fun. Be sure to use moisture barrier "Tyvek" and good caulking/weather seal.
If you need a footing you can dig it by hand. Just dig a ditch as close as you can to the slab 8-12 inches and cave the dirt off underneath the slab about 3-6 inches. Put in some rebar and concrete. As long as its not a huge room it shouldn't be too bad.
As far as air goes, it will depend on size of the room, ac, etc. I have a Fedders brand mini-split heat pump in my bedroom that has worked great for 3-4 years now. We had a Mitsubishi before and it went bad twice in the first year. You can even put them in yourself if you have a good vacuum pump.

I have been building houses, addons, etc. for years. My father was a plumber back when they did everything. So, I was raised in all things construction. I'm licensed plumber as well.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget the permits and licensing if your doing it for others
Ive been an inspector for about 4 yrs now, 35 yrs in constr prior
Cheap shortcuts will get you in trouble.... ;)
Have Fun

Latest posts

Top Bottom