Shortening aluminum hand guard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never done it, but it shouldn't be hard at all. Go to the nearest machine shop and show them where to cut it. A bit of filling, and a coat or two of Cerakote. A chop saw would work, but a band saw would be better. That's why I suggest a machine shop or vo-tech with a welding/metallurgy class.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can do it on my lathe if your in the area.

Tcox,

I didn't even think of a lathe. This would be the best option. Nice of Dennis to offer his service. That's quite a drive from Weatherford though. I'm sure there is a machine shop or 2 in Weatherford that has a lathe. Don't know what they would charge,but personally I wouldn't take a hack saw to a $200+ handguard. Even in a miter jig, I would think there would be too much torsion in the hacksaw blade and slack in the jig. Someone may be able to do it, but I couldn't make a perfect cut.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing too complicated about this. I could do it a number of ways, all of them(except for the lather) would end with a little time on the stationary belt/disc sander to clean up the cut.

With the proper blade, and jig/clamp you could even do it on a miter saw...

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis I truly do appreciate that. If it wasn't such a drive I would be on the way now instead of typing. I do agree that a lathe would by far be the best option. I'm going to check a couple places and see what prices allow. If they're too high to justify for the time being, it'll be off to the miter saw and bench grinder for me. I'll keep posted

Latest posts

Top Bottom