Unfair suppressor cost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been around a ton of homemade cans over the last several years and have yet to see one in person that is better than the mid level cans. Maybe there are some out there, but I haven't been around one. I have seen some that would meter well, but they end up as bigger/heavier cans due to needing additional volume to make up for marginal designs. You can buy a nice rifle can in the $500 dollar range, which isn't that bad once you realize the manufacturer/distributor/dealer all have to make their margin. I agree that the $1000 suppressors are pushing it, but nobody has to buy one. Anyone that thinks the prices are too crazy can buy a mill, lathe, tooling, material, etc. and start machining. I still don't think the prices on the mid level suppressors are that out of line.

I guess it's all subjective regarding what you consider both "hard" and "effective". Certainly, homemade ones aren't going to be as polished or aesthetic as many commercial products. Can easily be made without lathe, mill or major machining equipment. Buying parts, modifying and assembling is a shadetree mechanic kind of skill, not a highly technical thing that requires 10s of thousands of dollars in machinery.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you really want to get upset, go look at the cost of a machinegun. Transfer tax is the same $200, but since the feds banned production of any more for civilians back in 1986, the prices have skyrocketed. An M16 should cost no more than an AR15, but a legally registered M16 will run you $20,000 or more.

Yep, the law of unintended consequences strikes again.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, the law of unintended consequences strikes again.
Were they really that "unintended"? I think the authors of the law knew exactly what they were doing. They just didn't take into account the very human trait to possess what we're told we can't have.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF, I were in the business, my strategy would be to sell as cheap as possible, flood the market, have as many people as possible owning a suppressor. The more that are out there, the more backing to change the laws and the taxes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom