Coming back to Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to get stationed close to home when I first joined. They sent me to Europe and then proceeded to close all the major bases in New England. For 22 years, the closest I ever got to Massachusetts was Oklahoma!

It ended up being a good thing. Got to live in new places, not just visit them....and ended up here where I met my bride and ended up raising a family.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family was furious at me,,,
Because I did not list Tinker on my dream sheet.

I was Born in OKC and had spent the last 8 years there,,,
I wanted to get the heck out of Oklahoma.

I got an incredible job (99125/99105) in the USAF,,,
I spent the next 8 years (minus 89 days) on worldwide TDY.

I never understood why people tried to be stationed in their home town,,,
They could have seen the world on Uncle Sugars dime like I did.

Aarond

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to make things clear, I did not expect to get these orders. I had a list to apply from, but there was nothing on the list I was super excited about. So when you go up for orders you get three different tries to apply for places. I chose the Tinker orders because it is almost impossible to get them (and all my friends applied for them too) which means they would push me back to the next list if I didnt get them. Somehow I got them though lol. Im happy because ill be working on planes that are very similar to civilian airliners, and also because it is pretty uncommon to be accepted into these types of squadrons.

pb2624

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father got three choices (Hawaii, Alaska, and the UK) when we were stationed at Clark AB and got hosed on all three accounts ending back up Tinker which was his first duty station and where I was born. Thanks to Uncle Sam by the time I was 12 I had lived in Japan, Korea, and Philippines which led to one heck of an adjustment integrating into civilian life after being in a DOD system my entire life. Welcome back and if you are getting our anytime soon Boeing on the back side of the base is constantly hiring.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you are special in coming to Oklahoma! What you need to do is a cross-service transfer to the Air Force. They need people like you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom