Any experiance with Kimber solo 9mm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2710

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm planning on filling (replacing) the 9mm gap in my collection since I traded off my S&W3913. I wanted to go small with this one and am thinking a Kimber solo or Glock 43. I've read the other post and comments on the 43 (I own a 42, thinking the 43 would be too close to same gun). So I have the same question as the post on the glock 43, I'm seeing a bunch for sale with a low round count and it seems (at least for those people) it's not what they thought it would be. Has anyone owned or at least shot this gun? Are there any issues?

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had one for a while and traded it for a Sig. Nice looking and a good carry size. A little snappy to fire b/o the heavier bullets it requires. Very stiff spring. Just not for me.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Dad's had a few reliability issues. I polished the feed ramp and used premium ammo and couldn't make it fail after that. I really liked it. As stated above, the sucker is snappy and I wouldn't say it is fun to shoot as a result. That's not it's role though and for CCW it is pretty awesome. They are much smaller when you see them in person than they look online.

TsFinest

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
that kimber is a good looking gun, but dependability also concerned me. If I get a chance to shoot one and really test it out I might give it a reconsider. I went through the same debate on the solo vs the 43, ended up getting the xds since I already had a glock 26. in the end for that size i wanted dependability opposed to a good looker, thats what I have the 1911 for.

flash2710

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the way I'm leaning on this one. If I'm going to carry it, reliability trumps looks. It seems guns are a lot like motorcycles, I'm never going to find one that does everything the best. Luckily, guns cost less so I can have more than one. Hope there's a good selection at this week's gun show.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one Kimber Solo I have direct firing experience with was not positive. The owner repeatedly had about 50% of factory ball rounds fail to feed. I shot it too. Problem was not limp wristing; gun just not dependable. Owner packed it up and sent it back to Kimber for repair.

I like the Ruger LC9 and LC9s for their size. LC9s has a nicer trigger pull. Nice thin pistol that's plenty accurate and fully dependable. You can buy a couple LC9s's and have money left over compared to a Kimber Solo.

I'm gathering you don't want to go the Glock 26 or 19 because of their somewhat thicker grip. Both are solid dependable pistols.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I traded an OSA member for my nearly new Kimber Solo. -- Hickok45 was a little guarded in his assessment of the Solo; The Truth About Guns was little nicer in there initial test but I guess problems developed later. -- For me, I have only taken the gun to the range 3 times. I have about 250 rounds of different kinds of ammunition thru the handgun. Kimber recommends that you use only 124 or 147 premium hollow point self defense factory ammunition (Hornady TAP; Remington Golden Saber; or Federal Hydra-Shok). I tried all the different ammunition I had available, and a trip to Academy, for some Winchester NATO; Aguila 124 Grain; Hornady XTP; Winchester PDX and Sig Sauer JHP; But the bulk of what I was using was WWB 115 Grain FMJ, what everybody said not to use -- I have had zero malfunctions. When I shoot the Solo, I get very tight groups just below and to the right of center mass -- Compared to my Glock 43 I still tend to shoot a little left of center -- Trigger seems little heavier on the Glock 43 than on the Kimber -- I still prefer my Glock 19 ( I have had this for a while). Just to add, Kimber has a promotion on the Solo, if you buy 2 - 8 round extended magazines they will give you number three. the extended magazines are $23.95 each (2 are $47.90 plus shipping) and the 6 round flush magazines are $21.95 -- I shoot better groups with the extended magazines, the firearms comes with just one 6 round magazine. As the member wrote earlier, the Solo isn't a cheap firearm MSRP is $765. There are are a bunch of options out there, just got to figure out, how much you want to spend, and what works best for you!

Last edited:

flash2710

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback.
It's looking the same as I've read on other forums. I may give one a try understanding its a crap shoot getting one that works or at least can be made to work. I had a Glock 27 years ago that had some sort of issue on almost every clip I put through it. I sold it to a cop who wanted one as his back up (I told him the problems I had with it). Kind of made me skittish about Glocks. On the bright side, the little Glock 42 I got has worked much better. If I get a 43, that makes the 42 irrelevant. Not a end of the world type problem. Like I said, maybe I can find the right (next) gun at this weekend's show.
You're right about the 26 and 19. The 42 restored my faith in Glocks.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom