Shooting in my neighborhood last night - Will be on all the news channels tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had, and trained bird dogs for many years, plus having house dogs. Animal instincts IMHO can be alleviated,but never corrected 100%.

My Brittany that I have currently and the ones in the past will stop and move like a robot if I ask it to, but when an animal runs, it goes back to its heredity roots, that it needs to chase it. Fish do the same. Its called a reaction strike. They aren't hungry, the passing bait triggers a primal reaction. Well known to tournament fishermen.
If your ever in bear country, your told to never run. It only encourages the bear to chase and kill/maul you.

We have a rescue dog that is part Shitizu and part wire haired terrier. He does not like small children, so we pen him up when they are around. problem solves.

Once you see a dog may have an issue with a human, its best to isolate it while that person is around.

That Shitizu and Terrier mix bit my grandson on the nose, but it didn't draw blood when he backed it into a corner trying to pet it. He was 4 at the time. That is when we started isolating that dog when family is around.

He is 9 now, and goes to the pen and lets the dog out. They run around like buddies with no issue. We had him sit on the couch with treats, and have the dog come to him, vs him going to the dog.

I guess my point is, that they are animals, and have certain reactions that are inbred in them. One just has to work around that.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took your words for face value, if someone says that's the first occurrence, then I take it to be the truth. I was obviously wrong to assume you were telling the complete truth. You also stated that you have a no tolerance policy, yet there's been multiple occurrences .... previous to the "first one".....when the dog got executed. However, if you want to be a politician about it and backpedal and add a good amount.... "yeah but I meant" BS, then whatever you have say to feel better. Maybe PM me and call me a few more names? LOL

I didn't say first occurrence of any aggressive behavior. I said first offense. Don't blame me that you assumed incorrectly about what I meant.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had, and trained bird dogs for many years, plus having house dogs. Animal instincts IMHO can be alleviated,but never corrected 100%.

My Brittany that I have currently and the ones in the past will stop and move like a robot if I ask it to, but when an animal runs, it goes back to its heredity roots, that it needs to chase it. Fish do the same. Its called a reaction strike. They aren't hungry, the passing bait triggers a primal reaction. Well known to tournament fishermen.
If your ever in bear country, your told to never run. It only encourages the bear to chase and kill/maul you.

We have a rescue dog that is part Shitizu and part wire haired terrier. He does not like small children, so we pen him up when they are around. problem solves.

Once you see a dog may have an issue with a human, its best to isolate it while that person is around.

That Shitizu and Terrier mix bit my grandson on the nose, but it didn't draw blood when he backed it into a corner trying to pet it. He was 4 at the time. That is when we started isolating that dog when family is around.

He is 9 now, and goes to the pen and lets the dog out. They run around like buddies with no issue. We had him sit on the couch with treats, and have the dog come to him, vs him going to the dog.

I guess my point is, that they are animals, and have certain reactions that are inbred in them. One just has to work around that.

Lets not get all logical now..... shooting them really is the only answer. Especially if it's after multiple "first offenses."

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
doctorjj, I guess he's saying you need to "turn the other cheek" when dogs bite your kids

Nah. I just know how to deal with what was initially relayed as a minor first occurrence. I don't shot dogs for something that simple. Its not rocket science to figure out a solution that doesn't compromise your kids or the dog lol. See dennis's post for what escapes you.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nah. I just know how to deal with what was initially relayed as a minor first occurrence. I don't shot dogs for something that simple. Its not rocket science to figure out a solution that doesn't compromise your kids or the dog lol. See dennis's post for what escapes you.

You might be the ideal human, are you sad to live amongst the rest of us?

Latest posts

Top Bottom