AK Build Class !?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the deal on providing the receiver? Are we providing a flat and forming it in the class or are we buying an already formed receiver and bringing it with us?

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Participants will purchase their own receivers from local FFL which will allow me to avoid the headache of doing the transfers. I have not used Nodak in a while because of less expensive, high quality alternatives. I personally have never come across a Childers, NoDak, Morrissey, McKay, or AK74 LLC that was out of spec. I have seen people who screwed up making their own from flats. So the receiver you purchase carries only the guarenttee of the manufacturor. At some point I might offer folks the chance to learn to make one from a flat but not in this class.

As to the timeframe...that depends on you guys.

What is the deal on providing the receiver? Are we providing a flat and forming it in the class or are we buying an already formed receiver and bringing it with us?

Buy local or ship to local and bring to class a bent lower.

bowtieguy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Participants will purchase their own receivers from local FFL which will allow me to avoid the headache of doing the transfers. I have not used Nodak in a while because of less expensive, high quality alternatives. I personally have never come across a Childers, NoDak, Morrissey, McKay, or AK74 LLC that was out of spec. I have seen people who screwed up making their own from flats. So the receiver you purchase carries only the guarenttee of the manufacturor. At some point I might offer folks the chance to learn to make one from a flat but not in this class.

As to the timeframe...that depends on you guys.

So what is the purpose of the class. 75% of the people who build are doing so to have a clean undocumented weapon should the time come that the government decides that we don't need to own weapons. Once you deal with someone with a FFL the paper trail begins. If you decide to do a class on building receivers only you can count me in. The receiver makes it a gun so building your own with no intent to sell is what most folks want.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The purpose of the class is for the student to build an excellent, well-regulated rifle. Well-regulated refers to sights.

No one with all cylinders firing cares about undocumented guns. We all lost our guns in a boating accident in 2009 anyway.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay here' the scoop. The first class will April 1, 2, & 3. A Friday evening and two full days in Tulsa area. Class size will be strictly limited to ensure quality completion of builds. This class WILL NOT involve building your own receiver from a flat. That process is a weekend in and of itself. Participants will provide their own completed receiver for this class. Everything else will be provided. The cost will be $900, and I am working on getting that price lower if possible. Depends on cost of kits at the time of purchase, shop costs, and range rental (all subject to change and beyond my control). If those costs go up then so will the class fee. Once participants have paid their cost will NOT go up regardless of what happens.

Included in the class:

Complete parts kit for fixed stock AKM 7.62 or AK74 5.45 with Nitride treated barrel, correct rivets, pin retainer plate, Arsenal trigger group, and U.S. parts necessary to meet 922r compliance.

One magazine (steel for AKM 7.62 and composite for AK74 5.45)

Targets and 100 rounds of ammo for test fire, zero, and proving rifle to 300 meters

NOT INCLUDED but can be available at additional costs based on parts, etc:

Folding or adjustable M4 type stocks

Aftermarket pistol grips or furniture (i.e. Magpul Zhukov)

Ultimak railed gas tube

Optic side rail

Manual on building and caring for AK style rifles

Sling

Sight adjustment tool

ALG trigger group

NOTE: Parkerizing, Cerakote, or Alumahyde II will be an available options. Price to be determined based on color and finish
type desired

I know there are folks out there who have purchased kits and had them laying around gathering dust despite their best intentions. I plan on having a future class to help them as well (cost and details TBD). I do NOT have tooling or experience building AMD or Yugo kits and I don't really plan to unless demand is high enough to warrant the cost of the additional tools. I do build Russian, Polish, Egyptian, German, and Bulgarian AKs.

So there it is...I know this may not be exactly what or how everyone wants it but tough. I am trying to help fellow shooters, not make money. I could easily just up the prices and not worry about covering costs and potentially loosing money. If the demand is there I will do more classes and classes with receivers participants build from flats.

And for anyone who wants to flame on about the costs or terms consider this...

currently quality parts kits are $399
nitride barrels $99
trigger group $40
remaining U.S. parts to be 922r compliant $12-30 depending upon type
100 rounds ammo $27
Magazine AKM $11 AK74 $30

USSA range fee to rent out 300 meter bay $250/day
shop fee ???
wear and tear on my tools, jigs, drill bits, presses, etc ???
Our time away from work and family PRICELESS ha ha

I've NEVER built a rifle that didn't meet 3MOA standard. EVERY rifle I've built or helped someone build has had no problem repeatedly hitting torso size steel target at 300 meters. And no I do not hate M16/M4. I love them too.

PM with any questions or to make arrangements to sign up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom