Chiappa Little Badgers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, on a whim, I picked up one of the Chiappa Little Badgers in 17hmr. Something about its compactness, light weight and price tag peaked my interest. I haven't had any time to shoot it yet, but that hasn't stopped me from modding it a bit.

At first, I tried a small 4x fixed scope with see through rings, but felt the added weight threw off the gun's balance and lightweight appeal. So, I switched to a little micro red dot. Also added a little paracord and stuff.

Anyone else out there have one of these? If so, let's see 'em.

Here's mine...

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. Have to admit, I stole the idea from the interwebs.

I took a couple of shots with it tonight out in the backyard. This thing has a really nice, light trigger. Hope to get it out to the range soon.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I really want a 22WMR/.410 Double Badger o/u combo with an adapter to shoot .22lr. That is all.

2727400_01_chiappa_22_410_with_scope_640.jpg

http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2014/07/review-chiappa-double-badger-folding-22.html

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the little badger to the range today for the first time. Just something very relaxing about the single shot, break open action and taking my time on each shot.

The "iron" sights were on target pretty well from the start. I say "iron" because they're actually plastic. Here's a three shot group at 50 yards with the iron sights. I think the front sight post needs to be filed to a fine point.

Slapped the Weaver micro red dot. It took me a while to get it on target. Those little adjustment screws are pretty sensitive with no clicks to give you any feedback. Here's a 10 shot group at 100. Not that great but I'll take it. Most of its me...100 yards with no magnification and a not so small red dot covering the center of the target.

Here are my last 3 shots, from 100 yards, sitting and no rest.

Best thing is, it folds up and slides right in my bag. No need for a rifle bag.

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was contemplating the Little or Double Badger, but I started finding reports of inadvertent discharge upon closing of action. The thread below also included some not so great customer service complaints - but hey that is not uncommon. Too bad as both rifles seem really cool and I would have bought one - but concerned about a likely design flaw that could not be fixed.

Public Safety announcement - Chiappa Little Badgers may not be safe

http://ingunowners.com/forums/gener...ment-chiappa-little-badgers-may-not-safe.html

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was contemplating the Little or Double Badger, but I started finding reports of inadvertent discharge upon closing of action. The thread below also included some not so great customer service complaints - but hey that is not uncommon. Too bad as both rifles seem really cool and I would have bought one - but concerned about a likely design flaw that could not be fixed.

I'm not sure that it's a design "flaw", but I don't have a lot of single shot rifles to compare it to. Upon breaking the action open, the trigger goes to half cock. The only way that can happen is if you manipulate the hammer and drop it all the way down after you have the action open.

I do have an old JC Higgins single shot 410. I noticed the hammer has two springs...one is the main spring and another smaller spring that pushes it in the opposite direction so the firing pin doesn't protrude through the breach face in the resting position. Maybe that would have been a better design.

Regardless, the guy (admittedly) should have better familiarized himself with the gun, IMO.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah

DB doesn't have an exposed hammer and the shotgun shell in the shotty barrel would hit the pin first.
I doubt that could be replicated with the DB, could be wrong though.

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to post this video I came across as well when I was researching the Double Badger. A firing pin issue and simultaneous release of both firing pins when one trigger is pulled. I really want this gun but will wait a bit and do my research. I'd appreciate any other's insight into these issues to add to my data set.

Latest posts

Top Bottom