RCBS Turret Press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with this?

As soon as I lose some weight, I'm going to reward myself with a new reloading outfit. I'm considering various options, including the Dillon SDB, the Lee turret, and others.

Mostly, I'd use it for 38 Special, but I have other rounds that I shoot, and one disadvantage of the SDB, is the lack of versatility, as I understand that the SDB is a bit hard to change calibers.

My brother suggested I think about the RCBS turret.

What says this learned group?

I have a Rock Chucker now, but it is slow.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Redding T7 and love it. I'm sure the RCBS is good, but the Redding is like a battleship. The nice thing about them is that you can keep a couple of dies setup and ready, just swap shell holders and go. They're not a lot faster but can be better.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote for the Redding T7 if you decide to go with a turret. If you go Dillon, I would stay with a 550 so you could include rifle calibers. You can find used tool heads for the 550 for $20 and leave your dies set up. You would want to add a powder die for each caliber for at least you pistol calibers.

You will gain a but speed with a turret over your rock chucker, but not a lot. If you use lock rings with a set screw on your dies, you can swap them in a minute. The real speed increase comes with a progressive where you end up with a loaded round with each pull of the handle. With a single stage or a turret, you still are swinging that handle 2-3 times.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 550B and a SDB. The SDB is dedicated solely to 38 spl/357 mag. I don't know about anyone else's experience, but I have far less trouble with the SDB than the 550B. It's an ammo makin' little machine. If I had the room, I would have one dedicated to each straight wall caliber I shoot. I'm not knockin' the 550B. It's a good machine, but the primer feed doesn't always cooperate as well as I'd like.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 550B and a SDB. The SDB is dedicated solely to 38 spl/357 mag. I don't know about anyone else's experience, but I have far less trouble with the SDB than the 550B. It's an ammo makin' little machine. If I had the room, I would have one dedicated to each straight wall caliber I shoot. I'm not knockin' the 550B. It's a good machine, but the primer feed doesn't always cooperate as well as I'd like.

Right now, I'm more inclined towards the SDB than I am the others as 38 special is the round that I shoot the most of. For that reason, the lack of versatility wouldn't bother me all that much. And I have a good ammo supplier in Okie City for other cartridges that I shoot. I am shooting a lot more lately and I am going to need something but it will have to wait until I lose some weight. Incentive, you know.

zx9rt1

New to the site!
Reaction score
FWIW I have been using an RCBS turret for the last 4 years and love it! I load 45acp, 9mm, 38 and 357. I have the bullet feeders installed on each plate and that makes a world of difference. I have probably reloaded over 10k rounds with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW I have been using an RCBS turret for the last 4 years and love it! I load 45acp, 9mm, 38 and 357. I have the bullet feeders installed on each plate and that makes a world of difference. I have probably reloaded over 10k rounds with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, but I ordered the Lee Turret press.

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now, I'm more inclined towards the SDB than I am the others as 38 special is the round that I shoot the most of. For that reason, the lack of versatility wouldn't bother me all that much. And I have a good ammo supplier in Okie City for other cartridges that I shoot. I am shooting a lot more lately and I am going to need something but it will have to wait until I lose some weight. Incentive, you know.

then consider getting the lee pro 1000 is you are only going to be doing a single round. for the price of the sdb you can get 2 pro 1000's setup ready to go in your caliber with shell feeder and for a little more a bullet feeder.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion based on use, free advice, worth every penny:
SDB: proprietary dies ONLY. Easy to change with change kit (plate, etc) PISTOL calibers only
550 Dillon: most versatile, uses standard dies, rifle and pistol.
650 Dillon: more automated version of 550. (Had I known what I know now, I would have bought 650 to start; bring checkbook!)
Lee Turret: Still have one set up for small batches. Too slow for pistol competitors volume.
Lee 1000: Worst experience with any loader trying to help beginner get started. You better love to fiddle with this one.

Have seen others that looked nice, but only used the above.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom