I need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVMECH84

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.5 creedmoor, best BC .585 I think, has half the wind drift of 300 win mag, half the recoil, ammo is a bit pricey but still cheaper than going 7.82 warbird or lapua. Another good point is the 6.5 will give you a much longer barrel life than any mag round, people burn up 300's and 7mms all day long.

I am not sure what kinda "matches" your talking about, but most bench guns are single shot and weight about 15lbs+, Sniper matches, you would need to find a balance between weight and power, if the gun is super light, platform and set-up is hard to maintain with a mag round. Sniper matches can be much more than just a target at 1000 yards, elevation, angle....over water etc all play a major factor.

you could be taking a shot off a rigid line with 40 degrees or downward angle, 16 mphs winds, on gravel or loose shale rock, with a body of water in between you and the target....that is tricky tricky.....

Most all long range guys have gone to 6.5 creedmoor.

also you have another post about what rifle to get.....I have a shilen barreled action, match select 6.5 creedmoor, with shilen trigger, bell & carlson medalist stock, harris bipod. thy action built and ready to run was 1600.00, add another 150.00 for the trigger and 500.00 for the stock. shoots sub .5 moa at 100, figure that to 1 moa per hundred is about a 5 inch group at 1000 yards. you don't need to spend big money on custom actions all time to have a very accurate rifle. I would spend money on the glass however, I run a leo mark 4, a little older but still nice glass.

AV

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom