What can a bolt do that a semi-auto can't

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am NOT a big rifle guy, but I have decided to get one. I want one that is ACCURATE beyond belief, Hits hard as a truck, and can let me go up to and beyond 500 yards and recoils like a 22. So, I know that rifle does not exist, so what is the next best thing? I have been looking and see the Remington 700 in 270 is probably what I am looking for. What is everyone's suggestion?

My main question is, is there a Bolt action rifle that meets my criteria that will be more accurate out to 500 than my 223 wylde free float 16" AR? Am I better off getting a good scope, bipod, and finding the perfect load for my Current AR?

I would like something that will put 5 rounds in under an inch at 100 yards (IF I do MY part)

So, what rifle, what caliber, and what glass?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sub 1/4 MOA? Man, that's gonna be a pricey package no matter what you settle on!

Maybe look at some of the more prominent precision rifle folks like Surgeon and GA Precision?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Late last night on the Sportsman channel (Cox cable) I watched a program where they did comparison tests between bolt gun and a semi. Dont remember the name of the program, sorry.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was really late but I think it was an episode of a program called 'Hand guns and defensive weapons', and that portion of the program was near the end and I wasnt paying that much attention as I was busy doing something else while it was on in the background so I dont really remember the outcome of the tests, comparisons, etc, sorry. It may be on again some other time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost any bolt gun and any semi in the AR platform will shoot 1" groups at 100 yds. I've got a 16"M4 that will, my 20"Hbar in .243WSSM will as well.
All of my bolt guns will.
I have a .270 in a high end bolt gun. Killed a lot of deer with it as well as steel at 300 yds, but you just don't see people in long range competitions using that caliber. For what reason I don't know. When I read about it, I've never seen anybody give a reasonable explanation. They just say there are better calibers out there for precision long range shooting.
Savage bolt guns with the accu-trigger are very accurate out of the box.
Are you looking for a hunting caliber, or something to punch paper with?
How much is your budget?

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost any bolt gun and any semi in the AR platform will shoot 1" groups at 100 yds. I've got a 16"M4 that will, my 20"Hbar in .243WSSM will as well.
All of my bolt guns will.
I have a .270 in a high end bolt gun. Killed a lot of deer with it as well as steel at 300 yds, but you just don't see people in long range competitions using that caliber. For what reason I don't know. When I read about it, I've never seen anybody give a reasonable explanation. They just say there are better calibers out there for precision long range shooting.
Savage bolt guns with the accu-trigger are very accurate out of the box.
Are you looking for a hunting caliber, or something to punch paper with?

Thanks for the info. I hate to use the term, as some may think it pre-meditated or whatever, but a good "sniper" round. I will not use it to hunt (unless absolutely necessary). More for paper, but if situation calls for, I want it to drop what it hits.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bolt guns can be more accurate due to less moving parts and gas issues, but 500 yards isn't a long enough distance for this to become an issue. You could build an AR with a nice barrel and do what you want without too much trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom