What can a bolt do that a semi-auto can't

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe I am going to pick up a Remington 700 sps tactical in .308. I like the aftermarket support available for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't overlook the Savage with the Accu-Trigger and the Tikka T3 or even a Howa, I believe Timney makes a trigger for all of the above. And for long range thumping power consider the 300 Win Mag.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quality AR in 6.5 Grendel is what I would tell you to build. Just more fun than bolt guns, plenty accurate and with certain bullets it's still supersonic at 1200 yards out of a 20" barrel which not even the 7.62X51 will do.

You mentioned that you had a red dot on your AR and I got the impression you didn't think it would do 1 MOA. Could be the red dot. I could hit 8" steel at 300 with my wearing an Aimpoint with a 4mil dot but I couldn't call the shots until I put a scope on it. It was a "Shoot all around it" proposition until I got the ring from the hit. With a scope I get actually get bored at 300 on a bench. My ARs are nothing special either. One is a bone stock M&P15 M4 clone and the other is an 18" mid weight DPMS barreled franken upper that I use for 3gun. Both will hit 8" steel at 300 every single shot off the bench with run of the mill 55gr FMJ loads. Will they do better with a killer handload at 69 or 77 grains? Danged if I know, I've never seen a need to find out. Going to 500 will probably need a good 69gr SMK handload. Bottom line is put on a decent piece of glass for distance work. Some red dots are okay for about 200 yards but that's really it. The 1x6 tactical scopes out are really good and some are even up to 1X8 now.

Build a nice 6.5, put in a decent trigger and piece of glass, get a bi-pod and you'll be able to hit farther than you'll want to.

I built a 6.5 Grendel and have been really happy with it. Have shot it to 650yds and had good results.
[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the input. I have an MPX 9mm for my up close and personal weapon. I have an AR (now for sell) that I have no doubt would be more accurate than I can shoot. I was more curious about having something to reach out and really put a thumping on something if need be. I did not think there was one gun that could go out and make the hit and also be okay for a cqb too. I'm extremely limited in my rifle caliber knowledge. I will look into the 6.5.
I shot this deer at 433 yds today with my .243WSSM. He dropped in his tracks. How far do you want to go? The box blind I shot him from is left of center between the two scrub trees.

Last edited:

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_11_23_2b2034e250be09dfcd9720c696be158c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVMECH84

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
that 243 super short is a nice round for deer around here. nice work. I was looking at the Olympic 300 super short for awhile, until I saw the price of ammo :(.....

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Within 500 yards a bolt and AR with the right barrel are on part with each other, but let's be honest here, most of us already have at least 3 AR's in the safe so a bolt gun is needed to keep the boring at bay.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom