Best Handgun for Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been arguing this morning about this topic with a guy damn near as hard headed as me. Everybody has an opinion. But in my opinion, the fact is, pretty much any of the known, name brand guns will work pretty well for the task. I would steer clear of going too cheap, and most of us know what that means in terms of handguns. So, get something that suits you in terms of handling, something in a service caliber of 9mm or better, something that you can shoot well and then practice with it and carry it. Whether it's a $450 Ruger or a $550 Glock or a $800 Springfield 1911 or a $3,500 Wilson...if you are pleased with it, can safely carry it, launch a bullet from it fairly quickly, and hit what you aim at, then you're good to go. Me; I got a couple different options that fit the bill. I guess the Glock 43 gets about 80-90 percent of the carry time, but sometimes I go with something else just cause I want to. So there you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to agree with that summation...however, I just got a keltec PMR30 and like it a lot...30 rounds of 22 WMR is something to think about - It stays on target = multiple hits - and is lighter than anything else = easy to carry and accurate...

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to agree with that summation...however, I just got a keltec PMR30 and like it a lot...30 rounds of 22 WMR is something to think about - It stays on target = multiple hits - and is lighter than anything else = easy to carry and accurate...

We all have our experiences. But food for thought on Kel-Tec, and I know others will chime in. I pocket carried a P3AT for a LONG time, shot it just a little, but decided I should shoot it more if I were to depend on it. Never have gotten it to run reliably, and I'm tired of sending it back to Kel-Tec so it is now a dust collector in my safe. I have other guns that I have put 1000's of rounds through without a hitch, I will bet my life on those, not one that isn't reliable.

So all that to say, put a lot of rounds through that PMR and make sure it's something to bet your life on, guess that really applies to any gun you intend to carry.

And I am not bashing Kel-Tec, they would likely fix this one if I wanted to screw around with shipping again.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Joel, you are correct with your wisdom. My current go to gun is my 43. I bashed Glock for being late to the party and some what pricey, but my life is worth it!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot Summ nailed it; I agree that reliability is of the utmost importance. I have little experience with .22 wmr or Kel Tec...I'd sure not like to catch a chest full of the stuff from that PMR, BUT...I personally just feel better carrying a centerfire gun I am almost 100 percent sure is gonna go bang on the ammo it's loaded up with.. I'd like to have a PMR, maybe, but wouldn't use it as a carry gun if I had another choice, myself.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Carry guns???? My primary is my Walther CCP plus two spare magazine's. Light, handy, and very accurate. Except for not having a grip squeeze cocker, its internal function is just like the HK P-7. My other carry gun is my S&W 640 in .38spl, loaded with 158gr SWCHP-P+, and two HKS speedloader's, she's a very effective carry gun. Beside's carrying her as a primary, she also does duty as a backup to my Walther. I have other gun's that could be used as carry gun's, but these two fill my needs. Not being a cop anymore I no longer have to worry about going places where "angel's fear to tread".

The only time I'll upgrade my firepower is when I travel back and forth to my Dad's in Georgia. Then I'll carry my Walther PPQ M-1, or my 1911A1. Even then I'll still carry my 640 as a BUG, along with a couple of long guns in the trunk.

As the OP said, CC is a very personal issue, and for most, no two people are the same in what they carry, or how they carry.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You people carry guns around?

Whats wrong with you?

Yeah, you can get 10 different answers from 10 different people. Comes down to what youre comfy with.

Druryj, what was the guys opinion you were speaking with?

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You people carry guns around?

Whats wrong with you?

Yeah, you can get 10 different answers from 10 different people. Comes down to what youre comfy with.

Druryj, what was the guys opinion you were speaking with?

He was purty hardheaded; said if it wasn't a S&W M&P, it wasn't worth carrying. (I think it's his first/only pistol).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom