What do you guys think on Russia?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They did shoot down a passenger plane over the Ukraine and supported a dictator who used a nerve gas to kill a bunch of people. He's just as brutal with terrorists so there's that.

I try not to buy Russian ammo for the reasons stated above.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think GTG pretty much has it nailed--they're the competition. They're not necessarily an enemy, but they're certainly not an ally. The UK is an ally--when the rotating oscillator starts spinning up, we know that the Brits will have our back, but we can only count on the Russians being on our side if our interests happen to align at the time, and only while those interests align.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Power, like nature, abhors a vacuum. Obama's coolness to and abandonment of former allies in the middle east created a vacuum that attracted Russia's involvement for economic reasons and for garnering of power and prestige in the world. Countries formerly under our influence turned to Russia when they figured out they could not depend on the US for support/protection.

Russia is playing the smart game in the face of perceived American weakness and lack of resolve by former allies. They are doing exactly as we would do if the situation was reversed - seeing opportunities and seizing them for their own benefit.

I have been to Russia on three occasions and I detected no ill will from the Russian people in general. They are a lot like us in many ways. The US blew it as far as Russia goes IMHO. When the Soviet Union crumbled we should have welcomed them to the free world with open arms and helped them in every way we could. If we had maybe Putin would not have gained so much power and we may have gained a powerful ally. Now he is a virtual dictator and his strongman style is appealing to a country struggling to create a national identity for itself in the world after their great fall.

I sometimes wonder if there was too much vested interest in keeping the cold war alive. Without a Soviet boogey man a lot of people may have lost their reason for existing...

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The US doesn't necessarily hold the moral high ground on that score.
I think we've been better than Russia ever will. We're not perfect but I think we make an honest attempt to avoid civilian casualties. I didn't serve over there but that is the impression that I'm under.

Can you imagine what Russia or China would have done if they had a 9/11 and had the same military capabilities we do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom